SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about SparkFun's ALC PCB design services? Post them here!
By MOFOPOPO
I want to build the smallest purpose built tracker I can. The use of the tracker would be in a law enforcement setting with judicial review and warrant. Multiple scenarios exist for the deployment of the device. We currently have access to multiple types of tracking devices but none that are small and basically disposable. the "Perfect" device for us would include:
1. 48 hours of continued tracking
2. Location accuracy within 15 meters
3: Size! Something as small as a chapstick tube would be ideal.

If anyone has suggestions let me know. You may have to really dumb it down as I have no experience in this field.
By bidrohini
Making a GPS tracker is not very difficult. But giving it a compact size like a chapstick seems to be the real challenge. I don't think any DIY tracker can be that small. Let's see if anyone else has done it.
By Capain Afors
Hi there, I too, am interested in an ultra-small ultra-low power tracking device; there are hundreds, if not thousands of applications

I've been looking at Semtecs LR112 chip, which uses Lora as the wireless tx to send data to a Lora base station; it takes GPS data and wifi signals from nearby routers; once data is received from the chip, the Lora base station sends minimal and secure data (not the full GPS data, to save power) to a cloud decoding service which then works out the device's location based on the mac addresses of the routers it has found, and/or the absolute minimal GPS data to get a location, GPS location is not worked out on the chip, to save power.

Its a lot more complex than that, but that's the basic idea

With clever design. I believe this chip could be your answer.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge to create something at the moment, but I will be studying it further.

Perhaps the good people at SparkFun could look at this https://www.semtech.com/products/wirele ... dge/lr1110with the view of creating a breakout board, so we tinkerers can get to work on something awesome.
By jremington
What does "tracking" mean in this case? Is the device supposed to transmit its current location (how obtained?) elsewhere, store its current location periodically on an SD card, emit a signal that a person with a directional receiver can locate, or ...?

In the latter case, there are tiny radio transmitters that can be strapped to the leg or wing of a small bird, and function for months at a time.

Keep in mind that GPS requires a clear view of the sky to determine location, and generally does not work indoors or strapped under a vehicle.
By Capain Afors
Yes, I have two of them; I've also got 2 Sparkfun GNSS rtk boards.

The beauty of the semtec LR1120 is that it is an integrated GNSS scanner, lora transceiver, security system and passive wifi scanner, all on a tiny chip.

I have not found another chip with all this on board.

It is a trade-off on power consumption, though, to keep it to an absolute minimum. Location calculations are Not done onboard the chip but sent to a cloud service to resolve the collected data into a location.
By YellowDog
Capain Afors wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:58 am Yes, I have two of them; I've also got 2 Sparkfun GNSS rtk boards.

The beauty of the semtec LR1120 is that it is an integrated GNSS scanner, lora transceiver, security system and passive wifi scanner, all on a tiny chip.

I have not found another chip with all this on board.

It is a trade-off on power consumption, though, to keep it to an absolute minimum. Location calculations are Not done onboard the chip but sent to a cloud service to resolve the collected data into a location.
I think you'd be better off just buying an existing GPS tracker than trying to build your own. It would be a lot less expensive and a whole lot faster.
By mhixson
Capain Afors wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:44 am Where is the fun in that? accept what's available, No Chance.

Just imagine where we would be if we all accepted what is available was all that was possible.
I just thought this was an interesting thread. Have you come up with a solution?
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum