SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about carrier boards have here!
By seanhagen
I'm working on making a weather station using the Weather Station Carrier Board, and there's something I can't quite figure out.

How do I put the carrier board in a case to protect it from the elements, but still have the UV sensor exposed so it can get readings?

From what I can tell it seems like UVA will pass through glass or plastic, but UVB won't.

The enclosures (for other boards, not the MicroMod Weather carrier board) I can find on Thingiverse all seem to have the UV/light sensor as a separate part connected via wires to the main sensor board.

Am I missing something or is the UV sensor on the carrier board not really meant to be used in the wild, and instead to use something like the VEML6075 Qwiic breakout board to have the sensor in a spot where it can actually get light and produce accurate readings?
By TS-Chris
You'd need some sort of window that allows UV light to pass through. If you don't have a window, putting the board under some sort of shield to keep rain off it and using front surface mirrors to reflect light to the sensor might work.

Short of that, you could disable the onboard sensor and connect an external sensor in an area where it is exposed to UV.
By seanhagen
Looks like quartz glass is what I'm looking for! There's some cheap small panels I can get from Amazon or Alibaba and test out to see how well they work.

If I do want to disable the onboard sensor, is there a specific way to do that beyond "chisel off the sensor"?
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum