SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about SparkFun's ALC PCB design services? Post them here!
By Javboy
I want to order a ALC board, but I want a simple connection to a 4d systems display with no soldering. I didn't see the option for male headers, just through holes. am I missing something?
By TS-Russell
Thanks for reaching out to us on this.

The options available for the design should be listed under the 'Connections' tab

Hope this helps, and happy sparking!
By Javboy
in there I only see plated through holes, no male or female headers.

I want to be able to connect this guy
without soldering
By YellowDog
I think you have to solder the headers yourself, they don't come already assembled.
By Javboy
ok, that was my main reason for building an ALC board though, if I need to solder that, why not just do everything else too?
By YellowDog
The amount of work required to solder headers on an already made board vs. designing a PCB, having it made and then soldering all the itsy bitsy parts onto it is like the difference building a sand castle on a beach or building a real castle on a mountain top.

Doesn't look like sparkfun offers headers on their alc boards at the moment but they are doing 99.99% of the work for you. that extra 0.01% you need to do by soldering headers is really nothing, you can do it in less than a minute once your soldering iron is warmed up.
By n1ist
Since there's a large variety of connectors, headers, and wires that can attach to the holes, they leave it to the end user to decide what to use. Also, soldering through-hole parts is a separate step, and for custom boards would have to be done by hand anyway.
/mike
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum