SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about processor boards have here!
By VA3SU
I have a sparkfun nrf52832 breakout board that needs to have it's bootloader installed. I am using a Segger j-link to program the bootloader from sparkfun's gethub https://github.com/sparkfun/nRF52832_Breakout. I have tried both versions.

I am able to use the Segger j-link to flash the bootloader and the Segger J-Flash says that it is programmed (Using .hex file) but regardless of what I do the blue led doesn't flash as it should. I have erased the flash and tried several times. Each time it says it's programming was successful.

I am able to programmer using SES to flash leds etc no problem. The problem seems to be with the hex files supplied by Sparkfun. I don't think they are correct. I have noticed the the person who seems to have done the firmware is no longer with Sparkfun.

There are several people on this forum asking how to flash the nrf52832 with the bootloader and sparkfun hasn't helped anyone on this topic.

Kevin
By TS-Chris
Hi Kevin.

We might have the wrong firmware files posted. Try these, they are the ones our production department uses to build this board.
nRF52832_PGM.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By VA3SU
Hello Chris

Thanks for the zip file. Inside I found the four files below. I've tried them all with an erase flash in between with no luck. After flashing I have done the two button reset with no blue led flashing. Can you tell me which file is the firmware I should be loading, as I mentioned I tried them all but I expect it is the dfu file that is the bootloader.

Using ses I was able to test the function of the blue led and the button on pin 6. The reset button also works...

Regards,
Kevin

nrf52832_DEV_KIT_s132.hex
nRF52832_ST_Firmware_v21.ino.hex
s132_nrf52_2.0.0_softdevice.hex
sfe_nrf52832_dfu.hex
By TS-Chris
It looks like we bootload these with Nordic's nRF52832 Hardware Development Kit, I don't know if that makes any difference but you might need that in order for things to run properly. Here's the commands we use in production to do the programming:
Code: Select all
nrfjprog -e -f nrf52
nrfjprog --program C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\nRF52832_PGM\s132_nrf52_2.0.0_softdevice.hex -f nrf52 --chiperase
nrfjprog --program C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\nRF52832_PGM\sfe_nrf52832_dfu.hex -f nrf52
nrfjprog --reset -f nrf52
The procedure might be different if you're using a different programmer though.
By VA3SU
Thanks Chris

That was a big help. The procedure with a J-Link is first erase.

Program with the s132_nrf52_2.0.0_softdevice.hex file
Then program with the sfe_nrf52832_dfu.hex file

The blue led starts to time bomb right away.

Regards,
Kevin
By cony998820
Excused me, I am now using Arduino IDE to program the same board. However, even though the LED in pin 7 bright in the pattern of timebomb, I still receive the error that says "Upgrading on target on COM3 with DFU package C:\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_516516\My_test.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled." What's going on? I have never set up any bootloader or DFU package in advance because the guiding website says that breakout already have bootloader inside the board.

Thank you very much.
By VA3SU
Can anyone tell me if the nrf52832 board requires the 32kHz crystal in order to be programed with the Arduino IDE?

I have a project board that is a production board based on the Sparkfun board but I didn't include the crystal as I don't need the RTC function or great accuracy. I am able to load the boot loader but I can't get the time bomb to work on the LED.

I am able to run programs on the Segger Embedded Studio without a problem. I would really like to use the Arduino IDE for this project. If the 32kHz crystal is required with the bootloader to function can it be modified to not need it?

Regards,
Kevin
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum