SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about SparkFun's ALC PCB design services? Post them here!
By matt-bathyscope
First, this is awesome and timed really well. I've been prototyping a product using dev boards from SparkFun and was just starting to look at how to get an integrated product put together. I was looking at Geppetto, but a SparkFun offering means not having to switch components from the ones I've been prototyping with.

When I add additional components to the board (like a cellular module) that have extra pins for things like interrupts how do I specify what the pin mappings are between the cellular module and the microcontroller?

A couple of ideas for modules that I need for my design:
  • An ATECC608 on I2C
  • A 16 channel PWM module with the PCA9685 (like the Servo pHAT) on I2C
By brandyn
A better selection of power blocks would be great. Direct wire to 120-240VAC or 12VDC would be a nice alternative to using an adapter. But some common cases have no easy adapter options like 24 VAC (sprinkler systems, HVAC, etc).

Something like a wide range AC/DC to 5VDC buck converter would be a great option, say covering inputs from ~8-50V. This would allow direct-wire for automotive, boating, HVAC, sprinkler, a wide array of battery powered scenarios, and so on.
By sparky
When I add additional components to the board (like a cellular module) that have extra pins for things like interrupts how do I specify what the pin mappings are between the cellular module and the microcontroller?
It's decided block by block. If a technology needs an interrupt to operate, it is routed in the construct of ALC. For example, the IMU blocks need an interrupt to operate at its ideal so it's a required net connect on the controller. Conversely an alarm interrupt on a distance sensor is not often used for a 'user experience' for a lack of a better description. If it's considered optional, we don't route it but we do bring that pin out to a local PTH label hole so the user can solder to it after the fact.

> An ATECC608 on I2C - Awesome. ATECC508 is on the list but I think we can get the 608 on there as well.
> A 16 channel PWM module with the PCA9685 (like the Servo pHAT) on I2C - Good idea. I'll add it.
By sparky
Direct wire to 120-240VAC or 12VDC would be a nice alternative to using an adapter.
Good idea. I'll add it. The direct VAC wiring is always a little scary but I'll see if we can do it in a safe way.
Something like a wide range AC/DC to 5VDC buck converter would be a great option, say covering inputs from ~8-50V. This would allow direct-wire for automotive, boating, HVAC, sprinkler, a wide array of battery powered scenarios, and so on.
Very good idea. Added.
By sparky
Alex Streeter wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:03 am Standard options you should consider adding are:
  • Arduino/Redboard shield (standard Uno footprint)
  • Raspberry PiHAT
These get really hard. I've started and stopped on the RasPi multiple times. Because the RPi has the large connectors on the edge, it requires the board be mounted to the ALC 'hat' in a really peculiar way. I'm not saying it can't be done :) Just know we're trying.

Please keep the ideas coming!
By benghurk
This is awesome - I've been searching for literally years for The One Board that will do all the things I need it to, and never found it, but also never been brave enough to try designing my own. I build little dataloggers to track animal activity underwater, so I'm always trying to minimize my footprint while getting everything I need for in datalogger (data storage, time stamping, and a few inputs).
Three blocks that I don't see, but seem like they'd be great:
1. A real-time clock (ideally a couple options, including temperature-compensated ones). The SD card slot is available, now we just need the one other key component for datalogging!
2. A on/off switch for power to the board. This is one of the things that helps a lot when it's not always you handling your creations...
3. Maybe a Qwiic connector - saves having to run the headers for I2C?
By infx-prof
:D
1. A real-time clock (ideally a couple options, including temperature-compensated ones). The SD card slot is available, now we just need the one other key component for datalogging!
2. A on/off switch for power to the board. This is one of the things that helps a lot when it's not always you handling your creations...
:idea: Looking forward to getting additional analog and digital input options for Dataloggers, DACs, and PLCs:
  • Multi-channel ADC/AFE (16-bit and 24-bit )
  • MUX: CD74HC4067, 74HC4051, MCP23008, SX1509, etc
  • Shift register modules
  • CANBus, RS485/MODBus, MIDI and more (with rj45, rj11, din, DB9, etc connectors)
  • Digital potentiometers
  • RFM69 modules
  • Watchdog/sleep timer
:idea: More display options:
  • OLED
  • eINK displays
  • TFT LED
:idea:
By bhouch-web
benghurk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:23 am 3. Maybe a Qwiic connector - saves having to run the headers for I2C?
Just FYI Qwiic connector is currently an option. It's located under components for now.
By mikeklien
Direct wire to 120-240VAC or 12VDC would be a nice alternative to using an adapter.

A better selection of power blocks would be great.

But some common cases have no easy adapter options like 24 VAC (sprinkler systems, HVAC, etc).

Something like a wide range AC/DC to 5VDC buck converter would be a great option, say covering inputs from ~8-50V.

This would allow direct-wire for automotive, boating, HVAC, sprinkler, a wide array of battery powered scenarios, and so on.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum