SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Hardware or product specific questions are best asked here.
By JD28
Hi
I have very limited experience with programming. I recently purchased a red Openlog Artemis. I also have a SparkFun Bluetooth mate silver. I know that Sparkfun people are already working hard to employ BLE with OLA. But meanwhile, can I get the IMU sensor data from OLA in real-time over Bluetooth using Bluetooth mate? How to do that? What connections are needed? What coding is needed?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
By TS-Chris
This would be the same thing as serial logging so it would be possible. You'd need to connect the serial lines on the Bluetooth Mate to the OLA (RX,TX) as well as provide power to the Bluetooth Mate. (GND, 3V3)

Just make sure you enable serial logging and have the OLA and Bluetooth Mate set to the same baud rate and you should be good to go.
By KansasBot
This can be possible but a few notes:

1. SparkFun has release the first rollout of BLE communication: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ar ... etooth-led

2. The onboard firmware is not shipped with this capability and will have to custom coded. You'll want to make a function that sends the data over UART to the Mate and the mate will transmit/receive as necessary.
By liquid.soulder
KansasBot has the idea!
You should not need to use a bluetooth mate. You could use the built-in BLE capability of the Artemis module. HOWEVER right now this would require your own custom firmware. Perhaps in the future the OLA engineers will roll out firmware that enables BLE by default.

If you want to try BLE applications on OLA or other Artemis boards check out these resources:
https://www.sparkfun.com/news/3382
https://github.com/oclyke-exploration/mortaza-marsh

Reasons why you *would* use the bluetooth mate:
- if BLE is too slow for your needs then the UART compatibility of the mate (using classic higher-power bluetooth) would be beneficial
By JD28
Thanks a lot for all the inputs. I don't have much experience with coding BLE, so that's why I am trying to use Bluetooth mate, hoping that it would be simpler.

I tried the solution given by @TS-Chris. But I can't seem to make it work. How do I set the baud rate of Bluetooth mate? I have powered the mate, but my PC (Windows 10) can't detect it. Does it require some initial setup? Am I missing a step?
By JD28
JD28 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 pm Thanks a lot for all the inputs. I don't have much experience with coding BLE, so that's why I am trying to use Bluetooth mate, hoping that it would be simpler.

I tried the solution given by @TS-Chris. But I can't seem to make it work. How do I set the baud rate of Bluetooth mate? I have powered the mate, but my PC (Windows 10) can't detect it. Does it require some initial setup? Am I missing a step?
Update. I managed to pair Bluetooth mate with my PC. I enabled serial logging on OLA. But how do I read the data over bluetooth now? How to check if data is sent or not?
By liquid.soulder
I am not very familiar with the OLA firmware, but I suspect that serial logging will be routed out through the USB connection. What you need is to somehow divert logs through another UART instance which is connected via TX/RX to the bluetooth mate device.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum