SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Hardware or product specific questions are best asked here.
I am a newbie low on experience and would appreciate any help on this question.
The hookup guide for the Pulse Oximeter shows how to connect to a Redboard Qwiic. I would like to try the Oximeter using the Artemis Nano which is smaller and already a 3.3V device. How should I accomplish the equivalent of designating pins 4 and 5 on the Redboard Qwiic for RST and MFIO on the Oximeter? Pins 4 and A5? I am thinking of both the physical location of the connections on the Nano and how the code in the Redboard Qwiic Example 1(copy below) would or would not change. Is there anything else I should look out for in attempting to use this different board?

excerpt from learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sparkfun-pulse-oximeter-and-heart-rate-monitor-hookup-guide (example 1)

// Reset pin, MFIO pin
const int resPin = 4;
const int mfioPin = 5;

// Takes address, reset pin, and MFIO pin.
SparkFun_Bio_Sensor_Hub bioHub(resPin, mfioPin);
Hi Dave,

Unless specifically noted in examples for the pulse oximeter I would assume that those pins just need generic GPIO (digitalWrite) apability. That means you could use any pin on the Artemis Nano that you like. Choose some that aren't used for anything else in your project and are in a convenient location. On the Artemis boards you can always use just the number of the pin (A5 is also just 5). But it is possible to use A5 as well - there is a variable in the variant configuration that maps A5 to 5. Give it a shot and see if it compiles. Good luck, and don't hesitate if you have addtl. questions!
Hello,
I am also a newbie and have a similar issue. I already thought about just using any other pins to connect the sensor but i still have difficulties to change my code.

How do I change the code Dave mentioned above to use my pins instead. Am i able to work with the librarys anyway?

Thanks in advance for help
The oximeter will not work, at least for me, with the artemis nano. The code I used to test the artemis nano was simply the example 1 code from the biosensor library, as it comes from the file menu in the arduino ide (or the similar example in the hookup guide for the oximeter), both using pins 4 and 5 and then trying 6 and 8 (see photos). After the example code failed, i tried using pinMode input, output and a combination of the two or each alone on the pins to no avail. I then hooked up the sensor to a Redboard qwiic. The sensor functioned perfectly initially with accurate HR (I know) and oxygen levels of 98-100 with confidence of 99. Unfortunately, when I tried the Redboard qwiic I failed to remember the warning at the beginning of the hookup guide that using that board instead of the nano required altering a jumper, and I may have damaged the sensor, which is now mostly unable to produce readings, although it still connects with no error messages. I am frustrated, to say the least, but I would appreciate any advice that might help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum