SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Gort
I received my GM862 module, hooked it up and viola, it worked ...... In order to retrieve positioning data remotely via SMS, I need to load a Python script into the unit, and being basically lazy, wonder if anyone else has already done this, and if they would be so kind as to make the script available ?
By KT
HI I just purchased the GM862 module and it's working OK.. I was trying to upgrade the firmware but not sure how to do it with the SparkFun motherboard. You can download the firmware exe from rouind solutions but they say discounted the power to the GM862... ?? not sure how to do that with the SparkFun board. If you execute the upgrade it just show the progress bar blinking at 100% all the time...have you tried to upgrade yours?
By Gort
Yes, I have .... the trick is to power off the module, run the update prog, and it will ask you to powet the module back on....... do this, and hey presto, firmware upgraded....
By KT
What version of the firmware do you have installed. I have GM862_GPS_TFI_7.02.401 but I think there are some bugs in it, since some AT cmds don't function as advertized.
By brianhomer
Hi gentlements,

I just got the evaluation board and GM862. now under evaluation. A simple question, since there has two socket one for GPS and one for GPRS, I connected the antenna to GPRS(Quad-band Cellular Duck Antenna SMA )

GPS antenna is it necessary for my preliminary testing. If this is necessary, (Antenna GPS Embedded SMA) is fine?

Please comment!
By brianhomer
brianhomer wrote:Hi gentlements,

I just got the evaluation board and GM862. now under evaluation. A simple question, since there has two socket one for GPS and one for GPRS, I connected the antenna to GPRS(Quad-band Cellular Duck Antenna SMA )

GPS antenna is it necessary for my preliminary testing. If this is necessary, (Antenna GPS Embedded SMA) is fine?

Please comment!
ALL mobile phone function is fine, just cannot read the GPS data due to No antenna.
By maokh
yes, you will need it. otherwise, you wont get enough signal on the open connector :)

I used the small, embedded antenna. make sure its a 3VDC and not a 5VDC, as they are active antennas with LNA's.
By brianhomer
maokh wrote:yes, you will need it. otherwise, you wont get enough signal on the open connector :)

I used the small, embedded antenna. make sure its a 3VDC and not a 5VDC, as they are active antennas with LNA's.
I tried EM406module with patch antenna is fine, Just order one with SMA connector from sparky. will further try
By slammers
I can not update the firmawre on my module for some reason.
I run the update program, plug the power into the EVB, and then press the on/off button.

The program just keeps flashing the progress bar and flashing a * in the status bar. The status bar says Power ON the MS: linking...

The green LED is on solid.

Does the DTR polarity switch matter? It does not seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions? Is the status bar supposed to increase slowly? How long does the upload take?

Shawn
By foxxjnm
anyone got this to work (firmware upgrade)
By prancius
So i maded it myself :)

Regards,
Pranas