SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By TheDude_Abides
Hello, I'm an electrician for a rather large name in the forging industry. The plant I work at has absolutely no network monitoring of our equipment. Most industrial plants will have some type of monitoring set up that you can remotely look into and see how equipment is running i.e. Allen Bradley's DeviceNet or a SCADA system to name a couple. I'm wanting to implement a SCADA system but the supervision doesnt see the importance behind it. What I want to do is put a vibration monitor on a motor on one particular piece of equipment and be able to access it from our plant network and be able to either see a graph or some type of charting. This is where arduino comes in. My maintenance planner and I are dead set on implementing something like this in the plant and has alotted me a small amount of money for a trial. I want to use an arduino for the capabilities and the cost. My on concern is is there a vibration monitor suitable enough, that works with the arduino, that can withstand a mild industrial atmosphere? I chose this one piece of equipment because it isnt subjected to the harsh vibrations and atmosphere like the rest throughout the plant. This is just meant to show the effectiveness of equipment monitoring. If they approve we will obviously have to go with a more rugged equipment setup.

I have an arduino UNO and an ethernet shield for now. Anything else I may need? I program PLC's and do alot of automation so the mechanical/electrical wont be an issue but I am new to the world of open-source electronics. Thanks for any input in advance.
By lyndon
An application like this typically uses an accelerometer to detect the vibration. Item #1 is to determine the G level of vibration you're looking for. From what I recall when doing research a few years ago, most motors that aren't falling apart will be under 5Gs. Honeywell should have something appropriate for the environment.

If you take a look at some of the applications of the SlamStick, I think they refer to typical G forces encountered for various types of equipment.