SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By rgsparber
I have used my AVR MK II with Arduino 1.8.5 for a long time without any problems. My targets have been the Pro Micro and the ATTiny85.

Recently I moved to Win10 and used Arduino 1.8.5 to directly program a Pro Micro. Worked fine. But when I used the AVR to program an ATTiny85, I got the upload error shown below.

The AVR shows up in Device Manager as "Atmel/AVRISP mkii" but nothing under Ports (COM & LPT). Under Atmel/AVRISP mkii I see that the driver is OK although under Events I see "Device USB\VID_03EB&PID_2104\000200156091 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."

In Arduino 1.8.5 I see COM1 as the only option. Moving the AVR to different USB ports makes no difference. During uploads I get the error:

------------------------
avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.14.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.
-------------------------
and at the top it says "An error occurred while uploading the sketch"

Upgrading to 1.8.6 made no difference. I then moved to my Win7 laptop and got the same error.

When it used to work, I would select the correct COM and get no errors. Now I only get that COM1 option and the above error messages.

So how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
By jremington
Sounds like a driver problem to me. I use Win7 with the AVRISP MKII programmer, and no COM port appears when it is plugged in. I use AVR Studio for programming with it, not Arduino.

In Device Manager the programmer appears under the "Jungo" heading as two devices: AVRISP mkII and WinDriver.

Try downloading the driver from the manufacturer web site and deleting/reinstalling (I haven't visited it since the change of ownership).
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]