SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By sbonkosk
Hey guys,

So I'm experienced at a hobbyist level of building things, plugging components into a breadboard and programming microcontrollers. However, my question now is, after I've bought some stuff from Sparkfun or wherever and have a thing that works, where do you even begin to take it and make a production level device that can be sold to people?

For example, let's say I wanted to build a production level device that had bluetooth, gps, and a battery. Thats it! Its super easy to buy some components from sparkfun and get it hooked up on a breadboard and get it working. However, what if I wanted to then move to production? It's my understanding that the bluetooth chip or gps chip I used for the prototyping wouldn't be the component I would want to use in production because maybe I want it smaller, or cheaper. But, if I go from a bluetooth or gps unit breakout board to something like a SMD, is that easily convertible? Like, how do you make that leap? Is your prototype valid if you're going to use a different chip for something in the end? Or do you prototype with the hardware you would want in production instead? And if so, how do you prototype things like a SMD? I feel like only machines can solder those things but maybe Im wrong.

Honestly, the leap from some prototype to a product is so mysterious to me.
By lyndon
Generally speaking, prototype with the parts you expect to use in production unless there's good reason not to. I think what you are describing can be better described as a "proof of concept" than a prototype.
By sbonkosk
lyndon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm Generally speaking, prototype with the parts you expect to use in production unless there's good reason not to. I think what you are describing can be better described as a "proof of concept" than a prototype.
Thats a good point, you're right, thank you for that distinction! However, if I do prove that a concept works, and I find the SMT components I think would work in production, how do you prototype with such small components? I'm used to a breadboard and soldering, but with arduino sized through hole components. Is it really just a matter of being super careful and soldering onto the super small leads?
By lyndon
You learn new techiques. Hand soldering doesn't work well below 1206 parts or 0.5mm lead spacing. Below that you need to use paste and reflow. It's so much faster, I never make through-hole boards anymore!

It's really not hard, although I personally don't go below 0603 parts. You need to do a PC board layout and I recommend purchasing a solder paste stencil at the same time you get boards made. I use OSH Park for boards and OSH Stencils for stencils. A little practice and you'll get the hang of it. adafruit has some good tutorials on getting into small scale SMT manufacturing.
By sbonkosk
lyndon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 pm You learn new techiques. Hand soldering doesn't work well below 1206 parts or 0.5mm lead spacing. Below that you need to use paste and reflow. It's so much faster, I never make through-hole boards anymore!

It's really not hard, although I personally don't go below 0603 parts. You need to do a PC board layout and I recommend purchasing a solder paste stencil at the same time you get boards made. I use OSH Park for boards and OSH Stencils for stencils. A little practice and you'll get the hang of it. adafruit has some good tutorials on getting into small scale SMT manufacturing.
This is great, I'll take a look into this stuff. Thank you!!
By jacquelbot
With practice (and the right tip), tiny parts certainly can be hand soldered. For prototypes with SMT parts, a step between solderless breadboard and custom PCB can be using adapter boards. Check out all the different ones available on Digikey https://www.digikey.com/products/en/pro ... ?k=adapter.

So basically you're turning SMT parts into leaded parts and then you can get your circuit working on a prototyping board (like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12070 ) and then make the jump to a custom PCB (at which point I'm sure a stencil and solder paste would speed things up, although I haven't personally done that at home.)