SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By theropod
Is it possible to read the analog input, say from a joystick, output a variable voltage signal to an multiple stage op amp and then send these signals back to the arduino for a different digital inputs?

Say the analog input is intended to eventually drive an Easy Driver, and one wants to have 3 distinct pulse speeds sent to the driver. Could the voltage conversion, which is fairly easy to do, be sent to an op amp, and the op amp signals then be used as digital inputs to the Arduino? If so it seems it would be a simple matter to in turn generate a defined pulse speed depending on which digital pin receives input.

Is this possible, or is there an easier way to accomplish the same effect? Yes I am pretty illiterate when it comes to these matters.

Thanks.
By lyndon
Yes, you can do that.
But what I think you really want to do is read the joystick (analog) input and then output a variable pulse rate stream to the EasyDriver depending on the value you read. No need for any opamps in the middle.
By theropod
jremington wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 am Please explain, as clearly as possible, what you want to do and what hardware you will be using.
Then you can expect some sensible advice.
:lol:

Seriously? Did you even read my post? Unbelievable.

My expectations? Lowered.

:lol:
By theropod
lyndon wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am Yes, you can do that.
But what I think you really want to do is read the joystick (analog) input and then output a variable pulse rate stream to the EasyDriver depending on the value you read. No need for any opamps in the middle.
Never mind. I was only presenting a hypothetical.
By theropod
lyndon wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:47 pm If your question is merely hypothetical, then say so. It will certainly work, but it adds additional components & complexity for no benefit.

All,
This will be my last post here, and the admin can delete it so as to protect the sensitive, but I will have my say before this eventuality. I have been working with electronics since before most of you were born, so the high horse crap is both disgusting and unjustified. My self admitted illiteracy relates to microprocessors, and I dare say bloody few of you have ever built a tube type anything. We are all illiterate about something. Worse than that is the fact that if allowed to go unchallenged such worthless posts speaks volumes to the attitude of the company sponsoring this forum. Is this really the way SparkFun wants to be represented? Were I in a position to do so harsh sanctions would have eliminated the sort of absolute tripe directed towards me long ago. So, let it be known that in permitting such vile, and unjustified, postings SparkFun tacitly approves of such. There are no other options. Own it.

Lyndon,
Perhaps the first few words of my post would have been clear enough if one bothered to actually read them. What part of, “Is it possible” doesn’t very strongly imply a hypothetical? Seriously? What alternative can possibly be derived from such a preface? Apparently I use a version of the English language where those words hold a differnt meaning than what ever you were taught. Now, figure out some new and improved manner to expose your own lack of ability to read and comprehend while transferring your own shortcomings onto others. It was a simple question, and I am ever so sorry my plain words were so obscure to you.

Whether an advantage is present in my hypothetical, or not, is not your call. I note you offered no alternative, but rather made a sweeping unsupported assertion. You could very well be correct that there are simpler methods, but you didn’t suggest them. All you did was voice a negative opinion. A naysayer, if you will. Alternatively you could have omnipotent knowledge of my most inner thoughts and see through my evil plans. Did your comments help in any way? No.

The knee jerk reaction posted by the two of you is supposedly justified because some folks here seem to think it is their duty to belittle others. Some example of a willingness to share knowledge, or answer an simple question. Yep, y’all are shining examples of virtue, and reflect the values of SparkFun so well. That’s sarcasm, just in case I need explain every detail, which is obviously the case.

jremington,
I find it hilarious that in spite of me clearly listing each component in question, and providing a detailed rundown of the issue, you asked your obtuse question. Even more side splitting is your weak attempt to further belittle, on a personal level, and you are supposed to be “support volunteer”? Pure comedy gold, in a morbid and infantile form more befitting a child. I suppose the way to rid myself of the illiteracy, to which I openly admitted, is to subject myself to the abuse of someone supposedly here to help. Just how much help is your very thinly veiled ad hom? None at all. Because of your attitude, and snide remarks, SparkFun just lost a contributing member, and customer. If anyone asks I will tell them where to get any of the products offered by SparkFun besides here, and probably pay far less to boot. Be ever so proud in your accomplishment.

Have fun with your little ego palace. I am done here. Continue to pretend you are superior, when anyone with two functional brain cells can clearly see a total opposition to this completely imagined glory. If y’all were capable you would feel shame for what has been posted here in response to what was a simple question, but the self delusion is probably irreversibly permanent. Good day.
By lyndon
Possibly against my better judgement I'm going to respond to this. Primarily because I don't want anyone reading this to be put off from asking questions lest they feel slighted by the responses, or those of us who give our time to answer questions to have even more reasons to not continue to do so. We try to be a friendly bunch here and I'd like to see that continue.

FIrst, let me make it clear that I don't work for Sparkfun. Any issues with my response should be directed at me, not them.
Second, I have re-read my responses multiple times, and no, I see nothing bothersome about either of them. If I managed to offend you, I apologize.

That said, the tone of your question was far from submitting a hypothetical situation. "Is it possible," "can I do this," "what happens if" are all common ways that people on this, and other sites phrase questions about things they are working on. We see that and assume that someone is trying to accomplish a task. Hypothetical thoughts are typically clearly noted as such. So I answered your question and then went on to indicate that it was not the optimal way to accomplish the task.

Again, if I was offensive, I apologize.
By phalanx
theropod wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:21 pm All,
This will be my last post here, and the admin can delete it so as to protect the sensitive, but I will have my say before this eventuality. I have been working with electronics since before most of you were born, so the high horse crap is both disgusting and unjustified. My self admitted illiteracy relates to microprocessors, and I dare say bloody few of you have ever built a tube type anything.
More than one person reported this thread as something to be deleted but I'm not a heavy handed moderator in that regard. All too often we see posts on this forum of people asking for help with a convoluted approach and no details of what is actually trying to be accomplished. When we finally get their project goals out of them, the approach can usually be greatly simplified. Your first post is hardly hypothetical which is why it was immediately followed up by a request for what you are actually trying to accomplish. What triggered your over the top rant is beyond me since your assertions do not make any sense based on what was posted in this thread.
So, let it be known that in permitting such vile, and unjustified, postings SparkFun tacitly approves of such. There are no other options. Own it.
The rhetoric here is completely unnecessary and off base. It amazes me that we occasionally run into adults that behave this way.

-Bill