SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
Hi. I have an MP3 Trigger and a WAV trigger and they have been great on a variety of projects. Now I ran into something that seems simple but I can't get it to work on either board:

1) On power-up, several tracks should play sequentially. When the last track is done the first track plays. And so on...
On the MP3 Trigger, this is accomplished by shunting all relevant triggers to ground. No ini file needed.

2) A trigger input is dedicated to a "next" button so you can skip to the next in the sequence.

This scenario is described in the MP3 Trigger documentation:
As an example, I use the following single-line init file to make trigger
18 be a "Next" function, then hard-wire the trigger so that my MP3 Trigger
powers up and loops continuously through all the tracks on the card.
#TRIG 18, 1, 0
That does indeed work, BUT... after playing the "next" track, playback restarts from the first file, ignoring any later files.

The WAV Trigger has more logical options for each trigger, so I tried that too. But unless I'm mistaken, the WAV Trigger doesn't play tracks sequentially if you shunt several triggers. Instead it plays them simultaneously (if polyphony is on) or it quickly jumps to the last track (if polyphony is off).

I'm working on setting up Arduino serial control next, but I just wanted a reality check since I always thought these boards could do this "out of the box". Thanks, -Zach
By robertsonics
With the WAV Trigger, you can (using the Configurator and the init file) set a trigger function to be "Next", make it "Level Sensitive" and "Invert". When the WAV Trigger powers on, it will see that trigger as constantly active (without a jumper since it's now inverted) and will cycle through all the tracks in the specified range looping back to the first track after the last.

There is no "built-in" way to use the same trigger input to override and advance to the next track. For that level of control, you'll need to use the Arduino Library and code the logic yourself.
By robertsonics
Follow up: It occurs to me that if you do the above, and you also program a second trigger to be the "Stop" function for the same range of tracks, it may have the affect you want, namely that it would stop the current track, but since the first trigger is still active (Level sensitive, inverted) the next track may then start. I don't have a convenient way to test this today, so you might just give it a try.