SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By cappy
Hello,

I've just bought an ESP32 Thing from Sparkfun, installed Arduino IDE 1.8.5 on Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

I've followed the steps at this link- without any problems.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/es ... mple-blink

However, when I get to the "Select the Board and Port" section, the Arduino IDE does
not show the BOARD: ESP32 Dev Module.

The USB driver installed correctly, as a new COM port now shows up, and the IDE
does see the COM port.

I've installed the esp32 files in both the C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/hardware and
the sketchbook directories. Neither location is correct.

Is the tutorial out of date or did I do something wrong?

thanks
By paulvha
Just for the fun it, I have installed the IDE (1.8.5) on windows10 and followed the steps from Sparkfun, it works but not in one go..
In C:\Users\paulvha\Documents\Arduino create a directory hardware
cd hardware
create a directory expressif
cd expressif
I downloaded the zip file from the link on the Sparkfun page and extracted the zip
renamed the directory to ' esp32' (full path is now C:\Users\paulvha\Documents\Arduino \hardware\expressif\esp32)
started Arduino
Found the board 'ESPea32' by scrolling down in the board selection (tools / board) and selected it.
In my case it then complained about BLE illegal library. That is because the directory was empty. I copied the content from GitHub and restarted Arduino. All is well. BUT it is better to download the content from GitHub as zip-file as that is more up to date.
By cappy
paulvha wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:47 am renamed the directory to ' esp32' (full path is now C:\Users\paulvha\Documents\Arduino \hardware\expressif\esp32)
I didn't need to rename the directory, it was already that way.
However, under esp32 there is a directory called arduino-esp32
which is the git repo where all of the files are.

I've moved all of the files from the arduino-esp32 directory up one level,
and the IDE now sees the files.

However, this is displayed in the IDE
"Invalid library found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32\libraries\BLE: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32\libraries\BLE"

Ok, I'm able to compile and download the Blink Sketch, but still get the error messages in the BLE directory. I'll just ignore them.

I'm curious- this board is much faster (and more powerful) than the 16MHZ Arduino Uno that I used a few years ago, but it takes 5 times as long to compile Blink and download it
to the board.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help? I"m not sure why the files I pulled from github weren't seen by the IDE
By paulvha
so you got the same error as I did. I went to github, libraries, BLE and downloaded that content as zip. Which I then downloaded, unzipped and paste to the empty BLE directory in my hard drive. That solved the error message. Don't know about compiling speed. I do not have that board.