SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mtmtntop
i need to use a wall wart power supply for a beefcake relay. The relay is attached to an arduino uno but that power supply is already running the arduino and a lcd screen. I have a 6.0 v 200ma wall wart . Would this work or can the relay only handle a maximum of 5 v? the relay and arduino are running in an enclosed but not airtight space. thanks
By paulvha
How much power can be power supply provide ( W or mA or A)?. Which LCD screen do you have or do you know the power consumption? Then we can see whether that is strong enough.
If the relay is the JQX-15F-005, it has a pick-up voltage of 3.75 (well enough for the 5V), the JQX-15F-006 has 4.5V, as long as your power supply has enough capacity to hold the 5V it should work.
By mtmtntop
the relay i am trying to run is a jqx 15F 1Z1. I am not trying to run this relay from the arduino itself, but from a wall wart with output specs of 6.0 volts dc 200ma.

the serial lcd is running from the arduino . LCD is LCD 09066, serial enabled 16x2 lcd 3.3v. also hooked to the arduino itself is a protoboard with 2 leds and a circuit for a light sensitive resistor. All of that hooked to the arduino itself seems to be ok, although i seem to have some coding issues i am working through. The lcd and leds all work fine. the arduino itself is being powered by a 12v 200ma wall wart.
By paulvha
for your relay you need a bit more information. The datasheet https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Com ... QX-15F.pdf, will tell you how to interpret the numbers. Depending on the exact type it will be 150 - 185mA I expect. If that is the only component attached it should work on 200mA.

The LCD used on the board seems to be documented here : https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/GDM1602K.pdf. According to that the current is 120mA to 160mA (depending mainly on the back light setting). An Arduino Uno will take 40 - 50mA. leds take about ~20mA each. totaling to 160 + 50 + 40 ~350mA. So while that is working good for you, the 200mA wall wart is on the boarder. It is able to deliver the power because of the 12V (which is regulated down to 5V on the Arduino). ( btw an USB-2 connector can already deliver 500mA and that might help as well).
By mtmtntop
thanks alot for the translation. this is all new to me. it looks like its an 005, so it should be drawing 185ma. its the only component so all should be well. I have this located in a box designed for flat screen tvs in a wall so i don't have the usb option , thus the wall warts. thus led is working well, so the other power supply seems adequate.