SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By aldonair92
Hi Everyone!

Im trying to develop a project involving RFID and I have no clue what to purchase for my needs.

The thing is I want to capture UHF RFID tags in a 2-3 meters range, but I only know the basics of RFID, and I need help choosing the Reader, Antenna, Tag and everything else I would need to make this work.

Any help is appreciated,
Many thanks in advance :)
By paulvha
hi,

I recently got involved in RFID out of pure interest. I bought the Sparkfun RFID breakout with the M6E Nano, and it is working very well. This is supported with a good API ( C, C++ or Java) API from ThingMagic. It has an on-board antenna, but for 2 -3 meter you will need to use an additional the external antenna (which SparkFun has as well) instead of the on-board and apply external power supply, as the USB connection does not provide enough power to support the full antenna strength. I am using an 5 Volt DC/ 2A power source that is also used for a Raspberry PI. Sparkfun provides GEN2 tags as well, which you can read/write etc. (NO I am not working at Sparkfun :-)... but i like the quality of their products ) What is it you want to do with RFID ?

regards
Paul
By aldonair92
Hey thanks for the reply ;)

I would like to build a system for RC car races, just to know when a car goes through the finish line, so I only need like 3 meters range cause the width of the track isnt much wide...
Is this the antenna you were talking about I should pick? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14131
If so, do you know if it brings what it needs to connect right away to the Sparkfun Nano?
Can I use the C API to keep track of the cars in like an Excel Sheet?
Do you know of any cheaper product that could help me out too?

Thaaaanks ;)
By paulvha
I expect that antenna would do the job. You will need the cable "Interface Cable RP-SMA to U.FL" to connect to the board and maybe extension cable ( UHF RFID Cable (TNC to RP-SMA)). The API does not directly interface with Excel but one can create easily a file that can be imported to Excel with the data. I do not know enough about Excel whether it is able to take a constant external feed, so far I have seen it can connect to external data sources to import the data oncce. Have you looked at the SparkFun demo ( https://www.sparkfun.com/news/2319) where they use an Arduino to capture who was first and closest to the antenna. There is a link to a separate page with hardware details and the program/ sketch. I don't know about about other readers, have not done a deep study about alternatives. The reviews about this one + thingMagic + the software helped me to make my choice, but there might be others.
By aldonair92
Many thanks, I`ll definitely check it out!

Do you know a way of making the "beam" of the antenna as closed as possible?
In my sceneario, for a racing course, is in my best interest to be able to check which tag crosses first a certain "line", more than "enter a field", I dont know if im explaining my self correctly xD
By paulvha
Understand what you say, you would like to check on a "finish line" instead of "detected within a area". I checked internet and there suppliers that talk about beam ( see blog https://blog.atlasrfidstore.com/rfid-an ... irectivity), but even then it seems to be 30 degree opening. I don't know about this antenna, but I expect it is a wide angle. The only aspect that could help a bit is the RSSI (as they do in the blog), but is not a guarantee for the finish line.
By aldonair92
how about a Linear Polarization antenna?
Maybe I could study the right position antenna-tag to get max read chance.
Something like this, but oriented Vertically
What do you think?