SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything pertaining to the data.sparkfun.com service, the phant project which powers it, and user projects which talk to the service.
By NOLBwithaD
Phant is no longer in operation
Unfortunately Phant, our data-streaming service, is no longer in service. The system has reached capacity and, like a less-adventurous Cassini, has plunged conclusively into a fiery and permanent retirement. We know this is frustrating to current and potential users, and we absolutely understand your disappointment.

How can I retrieve my existing data?
All the data that was already in Phant has been secured. We built the Data Retrieval System below where you can recover your data using your stream ID and download the contents. This service will be live through December 31, 2017.
I understand I am not alone in struggling to recover my data that data.sparkfun.com has kindly (and free of charge) hosted for me for the last couple of years.

I, like others, have been to data.sparkfun.com and been puzzled by the request for a "StreamID". I have tried my private key and my public key in this field, but keep receiving a message: "Please enter a valid stream ID".

Please can anyone assist with how I might determine what my StreamID might be? Any help would be extremely gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

NOLB
By NOLBwithaD
I am delighted to advise that I have, this evening, heard from Sparkfun’s tech support and that they are working on a resolution to the problem.

They have explained:

“We’re aware of the situation with Phant’s recovery not working currently, we’re working on getting it setup. The stream key will be explained and there should be a post on the Phant page soon as an update is available to let you know what’s going on.”

NOLB
:)
By Sandman333
I registered to post this. I have been in contact with Sparkfun tech support about the inability to get phant data. I received a reply today informing me that it's over and the data is not retrievable.
Hi xxx,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Yes, unfortunately, Phant officially supernovaed in December, and it was a black hole for the months before that. I’m really sorry about that. We have written a blog post with a few other platforms to use going forward. Take a look here [ https://www.sparkfun.com/news/2413 ], hopefully one of those will be useful for you.

I hope that this information helps. Thanks again for contacting us, and have a great day!

Warm regards,
By Valen
Just a tip. It's a bit more involved and requires some additional learning curve. Phant can still be run on a local server running node.js. It's not vannished. Just Sparkfun is not hosting their server anymore. You could run it on your own computer for the time you keep it powered on.

I've only tested it briefly but did get a working phant server on my Synology NAS. (requirement: needed to install Nodejs 0.10 instead of more recent versions) I abandoned the idea for now because I couldn't find a way make it start automatically on my NAS OS version at bootup. But the phant webserver worked ok creating keys and streams. Read the readme text on github on how to set it up with a virtual machine. https://github.com/sparkfun/phant