SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rastoboy
Hello,

I'm very much a novice to Arduino and creating circuits. I read that if I want to use multiple servos (and I do), it's a good idea to get an external power supply. I ordered this Meanwell 5VDC, 20A power supply :

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14098

because I (probably naively) figured a 5v power supply would be right for my needs. I figured I'm using the same hardware I used the 5v power from Arduino drive, so I needed a 5v power supply. So that's kinda one question right there :-)

But the big question is: how the heck do I use this thing? I rather expected it to have a plug that would plug into the wall like a computer power supply. Googling has shown me datasheets for it and such, but frankly it's over my head. I can't seem to find any basic "how-to" guides to this sort of thing. Anyone know of a guide somewhere I could study to learn more?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Best,
lee
By jremington
Download the data sheet from the web site. The last page has a diagram showing which screw terminals are to be connected to what. Note that 20 amperes is enough for about 20 standard servos, all running at once.

ACL = terminal 1 = AC line (black), use a standard 3 prong AC plug with ground
ACN = terminal 2 = AC neutral (white)
FG = terminal 3 = frame ground (AC green).

V+ = terminals 6 and 7 = +5V
V- = terminals 4 and 5 = 0V
connect.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By n1ist
Make sure you put an insulating cover over the screw terminals for safety. They seem to attract wayward bits of conductive schmutz from your bench...

/mike
By rastoboy
Thanks, y'all. Can I ask some more stupid questions?

Could I trouble someone to link me to an example of the kind of AC plug in question? Because I've never noticed one with those wires...or I suppose they're normally hidden?

Also, so it sounds like I use terminals 6 and 7 like the "5v" connectors on my Arduino Uno board? But I'm not sure what the 0V terminals 4 and 5 are for.
By Valen
0V(olt) is the same as GND (ground) on the arduino, or minus like of a battery. It's the other end of the loop. You always need to connect at least 2 wires to make a circuit.

I'm pretty sure jremington means this kind of cable. Or similar one with whatever fits into your country's wallsocket.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11299

The powersupply doesn't have a socket for the opposite (trapezoid) connector C13, so you would have to cut-off that end and attach the bare wires in the mentioned connector pins 1,2,3.
By rastoboy
Ok, ok. Starting to (maybe) make sense now, thanks.

So here's a weird question--when do you attach to 0V and when to ground? How are they different?
By rastoboy
Hey there's just one more thing puzzling me...it has this voltage adjustment screw, but it has no labels...do you just have to sit there with a voltmeter to find out what it's set to while adjusting it?
By jremington
0V is the Arduino/servo GND

Check the DC voltage with a multimeter. If it not correct, then yes, you need to turn the adjustment screw until it is.
By rastoboy
By the way, anyone know of a similar kind of power supply that might come with an actual AC plug?

With y'alls help I got this working just fine, and I was delighted to find it completely solved my servo control problems :-) However last night I finished a new 3d printed chassis for my project and wanted to play with it, but frankly I was terrified to work with this thing while I was drunk. I mean, just no way, even with the contacts covered thoroughly. It'd be nice to have one without exposed inputs, but my searching has not revealed anything like that out there.