SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By kadamb
Hello All

I am Kadamb from Singapore, I am a biologist and have a keen interest in developing a novel application of sensors. I need help from experts here. I am looking for sensor chip or components which can detect lowest possible vibration. For example earthquake sensors. The idea is to integrate vibration sensor chip. I have no idea which chip will be best for such applications.
Thanks a lot
By jremington
Describe the vibrations that you expect to encounter -- frequency and amplitude.

Earthquake sensors (seismometers) are extremely sensitive instruments, usually with coils and moving magnets as shown here: https://tc1seismometer.wordpress.com/

There are no chips that are useful for long range earthquake detection, but inexpensive chip accelerometers might work for your application.
By brianuno
Why don't you start with an accelerometer? They are inexpensive. I picked one up at an electronic hobby store for about $12.00 plus sales tax. The unit is more complex than most sensors. It has 8 pins. Mine is the 3-axis type. I only want to detect motion, not direction of motion, therefore, the circuit I have in mind may be not require all pins. The sensitivity is supposed to be 2-3 g, sensitive enough to detect an earthquake. I have experienced many earthquakes.