SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Scott216
What is the proper way to solder circuits on prototype boards like the ProtoScrewShield when you need to connect components together and the PCB traces aren't there? Do you create a solder bridge between two holes? Do you try to get two wires in one hole? Any tips would be appreciated.
By Philba
solder isn't the best conductor - it's ok but copper has about 1/10th the resistance of lead and or tin.. It's better used as a way to make a mechanical connection rigid.

For through-hole prototyping, I twist the two (or more) leads together, solder and then clip. Sometimes, I'll use one lead as a "bus" - bend it parallel to the board and then bend and solder several other leads on to it.
By MichaelN
Philba wrote:solder isn't the best conductor - it's ok but copper has about 1/10th the resistance of lead and or tin...
True, but it's still perfectly adequate unless you're using very high current.
By Chanler
I'm using a circuit writer pen to connect holes as I wish. Like you, I couldn't find a best/correct/obvious method to connect components such as headers. In my opinion it'd be nice if they had 2 holes connected, or maybe a breadboard style connection.
By MichaelN
Philba wrote:So, you are suggesting he use solder bridges instead of mechanical connections?
I'm suggesting it doesn't matter from an electrical conductivity point of view. There may be other reasons to use your method, such as mechanical integrity.
By AndyC_772
I never twist wires together then solder them, because it's much more difficult to make changes afterwards. If the wires won't separate easily when you melt the solder joint, they usually end up having to be cut.

Personally I'd use solid tinned copper wire to link pins together on this type of board.
By Blackfin
Get yourself a couple of spools of 30AWG wire-wrapping wire in different colors and a stripping tool. Then just do tidy point-to-point wiring. Thicker (e.g. 24AWG) base wire can form power buses first followed by the circuit connections.

Naturally this sort of wiring lends itself to relatively simple designs (unless you're a masochist) that operate at reasonably low frequencies.
By motopic
Circuit writer pen is liquid conductor that drys hard, its used to fix traces in pcbs really, but you can connect pads with it. Expensive solution.

You can buy perfboard that has lines of holes, with judicious layout and cutting of lines you can get a lot of pins wired using the board, its called stripboard (see link below).

These guys also have breadboard type layouts too, search the web, these should be all over.
http://www.futurlec.com/Protoboards.shtml