SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By phomann
Hi,

I have a SKU#: PCB-FT232RL breakout board and have run into a problem.

I am trying to interface it to some 5V logic and have realised that the VCCIO is connect on the PCB to the 3.3V pin. Worse than that I can't get to the track to cut it.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
Crying or Very sad

It may be a good idea to have a jumper so that VCCIO may ve connect to 5V or 3.3V.

Or at least expose the track plus a via so that it can be rewired.

Cheers,

Peter.
By oPossum
I had the same problem. The FT232R inputs are not 5V tolerant when VccIO is 3V. A 1K resistor in series with the FT232R inputs seems to work well. A pin for VccIO would be a welcome enhancement.
By sparky
Good feedback. We'll change it on the next board rev.

-Nathan
By oPossum
The FT245RL BOB could also benifit from an exposed VccIO pin.
By hillsoft
sparky,

I see on the product page for the FT232R breakout that a solder jumper is on the board to connect vccio to 3.3v.

The picture of the breakout board on the page does in fact look like there is a solder bridge there above the GND label.

My board I just received does not see to have that solder bridge.

I checked vccio and it is reading 2.9v or so.

I need to know if I can just tie the +5v pad to the vccio pad, or if I need to do something else.

I need TTL level signals for my project.

I was assuming the board would have the solder bridge as pictured, and then I would remove that and connect the vccio pad to +5.

Thanks for any advice.
By rglenn
Glad to see this one got fixed - this one, along with me getting TX and RX backwards, seems to have killed the FT232RL on my R1 board the first time I tried using it :s

(Got spare chips, but unfortunately no time until now to fix it)