SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General MicroView Support area - You have questions, find your answers here.

Moderators: marcus@geekammo, Help@GeekAmmo

By Schema
I'm looking to use my MicroView as a data translator/sniffer between two serial devices, running at a low serial baud of 2400.

I had assumed it would be trivial to use the regular Hardware Serial on pins 0 and 1 and the common SoftwareSerial on two other pins, but according to this thread, SoftwareSerial and the hardware Serial actually conflict due to interrupts. So that's out.

AltSoftSerial uses pins 8 and 9, which aren't available on the MicroView.

sss.ino uses pins 3 and 4, and pin 4 isn't available on the MicroView.

Any other options or suggestions?
By scotta
I don't know what your hardware/cost/size requirements are, but you could consider adding an I2C to UART converter chip, such as the SC16IS740, SC16IS750 or MAX3107.
By Schema
That's an intriguing idea! I'll look into it more. I was hoping to keep it all through-hole, and haven't found those in a through-hole version of those parts yet. I do have the space on the board.
By scotta
Schema wrote:I was hoping to keep it all through-hole, and haven't found those in a through-hole version of those parts yet. I do have the space on the board.
If you've got a fair bit of space, the SC16IS750 is commonly available on a breakout board with a crystal and support components, which could be mounted through-hole on your main board.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=SC1 ... mfe=search

Note that since the SC16IS750 is a maximum 3.3V part, you will probably also need level shifters on the I2C signals.