SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By kosthala
Hello,

Telit has recently announced the new GE863-GPS, GSM/GPRS module with GPS capability.
It uses a SiRF star III 20-channel single chip GPS receiver.
Is there any possibility to see it at Sparkfun eshop?

Best regards.
By wsc
I will second this request. We may be getting a deal that would require us to purchase a large quantity of these new modules. It would be nice to have someone in the states selling them.
By sparky
Not to bad mouth Telit too much, but they continue to promote what I see as vaporware. I get a lot of inquiry emails about this so here is the current breakdown:

Telit has discontinued the GM862-PCS and Trizium
The GM862-Python is still available.

We got an engineering sample of the GM862-Quad 8 months ago, and it didn't work. I've been told Telit is getting held up with FCC approval for the GM862-Quad.

Once the Quad is out (no eta - I'm guessing months), then there is the GM862-Quad-Python. Then there is the get GE863 which is just the Trizium on steroids.
GE863-Quad
GE863-Python

Once these have been launched, then there is something called the GE864, which is a mini version (true BGA) of the GE863. More delay and FCC approval.

Then we have another board - I forget the name - GM864? that is some sort of an 'easy to use' modular thing for the GM862. I'm not sure.

Then you have the GM862-GPS and GE863-GPS. Yes! These will be very very cool and will scare the pants off all the people who are scared of big brother - because this little guy will be a wicked tracker.

Even if we could get an ETA, I wouldn't believe it. Telit is cool, but their marketing department is getting ahead of themselves. I imagine this is just a north america problem and that Telit is mostly already in Europe, but I don't know. Even if they were available, I don't think any NorthAmerican shopper can buy them from europe, because customs is going to refuse anything that says cellular and doesn't have an FCC ID (the current hold up for the GM862-Quad).

And so we wait. SFE will carry anything and everything that Telit is willing to ship us. We are ready to wire away huge amounts of money, but you can't get around FCC aproval...

-Nathan
By wsc
That is really dissapointing... I know Sony, Siemens and a few others make cell modules.. anything different there?
By sparky
All other cellular mfgs we've come in contact require 1 to 2 rounds of Non-Disclosure Agreement paper work, signing, faxing, procuring first-born child, etc. Siemans had a required dev kit for $1800, not sure about the others. The smaller you are, the harder you have to yell.

Telit has no NDAs, no minimums, no required dev kits. If all you want is a module, all you get is a module.

-Nathan
By freedom
It would appear that the GM862-GPS has obtained FCC approval and Round Solutions are supplying quotes for the modules. The 60 Euro shipping puts me off from dealing with Round, among other things....

Can Spark Fun take another look at the GM862-GPS?
sparky wrote:
Then you have the GM862-GPS and GE863-GPS. Yes! These will be very very cool and will scare the pants off all the people who are scared of big brother - because this little guy will be a wicked tracker.

Even if we could get an ETA, I wouldn't believe it. Telit is cool, but their marketing department is getting ahead of themselves. I imagine this is just a north america problem and that Telit is mostly already in Europe, but I don't know. Even if they were available, I don't think any NorthAmerican shopper can buy them from europe, because customs is going to refuse anything that says cellular and doesn't have an FCC ID (the current hold up for the GM862-Quad).

And so we wait. SFE will carry anything and everything that Telit is willing to ship us. We are ready to wire away huge amounts of money, but you can't get around FCC aproval...

-Nathan
By gabiz1984
Has anybody bought one of these new trizium modules ?

This company supposedly has them in stock in USA:
www.dacinternational.com

Has anybody bought from them, they only seem to sell the GE863-QUAD online ?

Thanks
By freedom
Seems like a good option for those in the UK, or those traveling through the UK. But that would be US$180 + shipping (e.g. US$50+). At that point I might as well deal with Round Solutions based on cost.

Anyone at Spark Fun want to comment on picking up this module?
jandirks wrote:Cool Components in the UK is selling these:
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/index.p ... 2-QUAD-GPS
By gabiz1984
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get the GE863-QUAD from someone in the usa like those guys at DAC for $99 and buy a GPS RECIEVER like the LASSEN IQ from sparkfun for $50?

I bought from Rough Solutions before, and it's a hassle to fax over the CREDIT CARD FORMS and the PO forms, and if dont go through you gotta call them all the way in UK and still have problems trying to get your order out.

It was so much easier buying from SPARKFUN when they actually had the TRIZIUM in stock.
By gabiz1984
I just ordered 2 of GE863-QUAD from DAC, let's see if they ship them out.

I will keep you guys posted if everything goes smoothly.
By gabiz1984
The GE863-QUAD came in today from DAC.

I popped them into the Trizium Development Board, and I was up and running. The Lassen IQ works perfectly with it. I was getting about 50 Kbps on GPRS on T-Mobile. Im clocking in at about 72 Kbps now. So I guess the GSM Code is better on the GE863, cause I haven't modified my code yet.
By maokh
What are the chances that a GM86x + GPS + PYTHON module + eval board will be available soon?
By Grimm Spector
sparky wrote:Not to bad mouth Telit too much, but they continue to promote what I see as vaporware. I get a lot of inquiry emails about this so here is the current breakdown:

Telit has discontinued the GM862-PCS and Trizium
The GM862-Python is still available.

We got an engineering sample of the GM862-Quad 8 months ago, and it didn't work. I've been told Telit is getting held up with FCC approval for the GM862-Quad.

Once the Quad is out (no eta - I'm guessing months), then there is the GM862-Quad-Python. Then there is the get GE863 which is just the Trizium on steroids.
GE863-Quad
GE863-Python

Once these have been launched, then there is something called the GE864, which is a mini version (true BGA) of the GE863. More delay and FCC approval.

Then we have another board - I forget the name - GM864? that is some sort of an 'easy to use' modular thing for the GM862. I'm not sure.

-Nathan
uh...there are ways around that, at least for individuals, I wouldn't recommend for companies...the reason the restrict it is less for 'regulation' and more for other reasons, mainly the incorporation back in the 90s of the LBS and Clipper systems into all north american cellular systems. If you think it might not be true, go take apart a phone, Nokias are easiest, GSM recommended since they have an easy to use serial interface and look, you'll find them though the Clipper is less obvious since it's driven by the network and not the Flex like the LBS.
By maokh
Customs will always be hit and miss. Thats why you get it insured. I need an actual, steady, legitimate supply of the newer GM86x series modules...so sneaking them into the states really doesnt sound interesting to me.

Are you talking about the clipper chip?! That never actually made it into production, the project was defunct in 1996. LBS also was not intergated until well after 2000. Before, triangulation was very difficult. Anyone who has ever had to do any law enforcement triangulation with AMPS/TDMA systems would know what i mean. Even GSM systems...

The GPS LBS systems also suck. When GPS signal is degrated or unavailable (more often than not), location data is extremely skewed. An LBS event on my CDMA E911/AGPS phones tell me i am 20 miles away from my home. Yikes.