SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By jc27
I got it mostly working, but had a couple of issues. I need to try to draw a schematic so it will make sense of how things were connected and what could be causing the issues. I a. Going to look up fritzing, but may go old school and just do a crude drawing by hand.
By jc27
I know I can use an attiny, but I would have to change the code, and the rotation may be a little rough due to the internals of the attiny. How would I go about using a single chip like one used on an arduino? If I can use one chip like that, then I wouldn't have to change the cod end can design an almost complete PC board other than the receiver board myself.
By Mee_n_Mac
jc27 wrote:I know I can use an attiny, but I would have to change the code, and the rotation may be a little rough due to the internals of the attiny.
Yes, the code would change to use a different servo library and perhaps different pins. I don't see why the movement of the servo would be any different.
jc27 wrote:How would I go about using a single chip like one used on an arduino? If I can use one chip like that, then I wouldn't have to change the cod end can design an almost complete PC board other than the receiver board myself.
Sorry, not following you. A single chip one what ?
By Mee_n_Mac
jc27 wrote:The arduino is run by an amtel chip right? Is it possible to use just one of those instated of an ATtiny?
Arduino is a "family" name for a lineup of products, most (but not all) of which use Atmel ICs. Uno's now use an ATmega 328p, as do the ProMini's, the LilyPads and a bunch of others. Some newer Arduinos (Micro, ProMicro, Flora) and clones use the ATmega 32U4, which has built-in USB. The Trinket uses an Atmel ATtiny85. See a partial list here.
http://arduino.cc/en/Products.Compare#.UyigGoUVBrA

To be an Arduino or clone means (IMO) that the MCU (whatever it is) has a bootloader program loaded into it that can "talk" with the Arduino programmer (or someother AVR programmer) program. You can buy clean Atmel MCUs or you can buy ones with the bootloader already loaded. See this post and it's links ...
https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37858

With the proper programmer (or some other Arduino) you can load the bootloader into a clean MCU. But if you can do that, you really don't need the bootloader.