SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By kroden
I have seen surface mount reel pages used for storing kits of resistors and caps (like http://www.adafruit.com/products/441), but i have not been able to find refill pages for use as general SMD cut strip storage pages. It would be a great alternative storage option for those who don't want to pour all the parts from the reel into a small bin.

Leave a little room for wet-erase marker or a pocket for a label to indicate size, value, part number, etc. and you have a very simple, effective storage solution for most surface mount reel components. Having a choice of multiple widths would be quite beneficial since there are more sizes than just the 8mm wide strips that most resistors and caps come on.

I have not seen these anywhere, and as such they would need to be ordered custom. I figure an operation such as Sparkfun could handle the up-front cost associated with such a product, and allow the wide customer-base to have another convenient option for SMD parts storage.

Side note: I tried making my own with a heat sealer and an ESD bag. The ESD bag was a nice material, but getting the lines perfectly straight with the heat sealer proved quite difficult. Having a letter size page with standard 3-punch holes also seemed like a nice feature.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
By Myself
Bump. I would buy the heck out of these. Well, at least a ten-pack. Having a way to organize little strips of LEDs and stuff that I buy in less-than-reel quantities would be great.
By lyndon
I just use Ziploc bags. Write the part ID on the bag with a Sharpie and punch a hole above the zip and you can hang a bunch of them on a hook. Gallon bags hold entire reels, sandwich bags to hold cut tape.