SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Chupa
I am looking to source 60 strands of 50/pcs (3,000 LEDS) of those individually addressable RGB LED lights and have been cursing alibaba for lowest prices. Does anyone have any experience using alibaba? Tips of how to avoid getting screwed or is it all pretty much a gamble?

So far it is pretty obvious that the "sales" people whom argue prices with you have no idea what they are selling. A couple times now I have been looking to get some stings of the WS2801 stuff and after arguing price for a day or so they get it down to what I am looking to pay and then when I ask for full confirmation of what I am buying they have switched it to the WS2811 without even telling me. I fear something similar to that is going to happen when/if i ever do go though with such a purchase. Would paypal/my bank protect me if such a thing happens? I think Alibaba has an escro system... is that worth relying on?
By Chupa
Just doing some general goggling it seems like your bank and maybe paypal are your best bet with this type of transaction. Most negative experiences seem to indicate that the Alibaba escrow system is not looking out for you as a buyer.