SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By caseyzahorik
I recently purchased a Venus GPS and I'm able to get the serial data from it so i know it initialized properly. However, when using the SkyTraq software (using it to make sure it's just not my bad code or something) it is unable to find any satellites. I have tried going into an open field and everything to no avail. The GPS and antenna I'm using is linked below and any assistance would be amazing!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11058 -- GPS
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/177 -- Antenna

Thanks!
Last edited by caseyzahorik on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skimask
That might be the GPS and antenna you're using, but how are you powering this circuit? Magic?
What sort of serial data are you "receiving"?
By caseyzahorik
I have tried powering it using both usb and in the end i hope to just use a 9V battery into the Arduino that will power it. I have also tried using a external 3.3v psu to just power the Venus but that was unable to go outside so i'm not sure if that helped at all or not. I looked at the data sheet and the serial data that I'm receiving is in the correct format, but the data it contains is all zeros. If you know how to power it on magic that would be nice though, do share.

Thanks for the help!
By skimask
So, let me get this straight...
You hooked it up to USB, which is 5v +/- 10%, then you tried a 9v battery, both of which are above the "regulated 3.3v input" noted by the datasheet?

How's that work? Not very long...if at all...
By caseyzahorik
So, let me get this straight...
You hooked it up to USB, which is 5v +/- 10%, then you tried a 9v battery, both of which are above the "regulated 3.3v input" noted by the datasheet?
Oops! Forgot to mention that I was using the Arduino Uno to get the serial and power to the device. I meant i have powered the Arduino through usb and the 9v. However. I have also tried using the Arduino for only serial and having an external 3.3v psu for just the Venus. Sorry about that...
How's that work? Not very long...if at all...
It didn't, that's why i posted it here... whoa...

Thanks for the help!
By fll-freak
If I remember correctly, this GPS unit takes more current that can be supplied by the regulator on an Arduino. Most people solve this problem with a separate power supply. I know that I worked with another poster a year or so ago and that was the solution. It had enough juice for communication, but not enough to power the drop receivers.

As an experiment, cobble together a 3V3 regulator that could source 1A and see if the problem goes away. Or at the very least, measure the current draw to see if it close to the max available by USB (500ma) or the Arduino (not sure, but pretty small).
By jremington
Please post an example of the serial data that you receive. Keep in mind that a bad antenna connection will eliminate satellite reception.
By caseyzahorik
I just spoke with sparkfun support and they said it's most likely a bad gps unit. If this issue persists after I get the rma replacement part I will post here otherwise I'll close it. Thanks for the assistance so far!
By liamcade
I was thinking of purchasing Venus GPS but after reading the above things it looks that it is not that good to own so can you please tell me any other which is good.
Last edited by liamcade on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skimask
liamcade wrote:I was thinking of purchasing Venus GPS but after reading the above things it looks that it is not that good to own so can you please tell me any other which is good.
So, one semi-negative post, noting a single potentially defective unit, drives your whole thought process?
By caseyzahorik
liamcade wrote:I was thinking of purchasing Venus GPS but after reading the above things it looks that it is not that good to own so can you please tell me any other which is good.
The first one i got was defective but still looked like it was working which was annoying but not a deal breaker. Once i got it replaced it worked very well and was easy to use. Just watch out fr that bad behavior as you might think it's your fault that it's not working when it is actually not
skimask wrote:
So, one semi-negative post, noting a single potentially defective unit, drives your whole thought process?
And it's *** holes like you that make me never really come to these forums.
By skimask
caseyzahorik wrote:
skimask wrote:
And it's *** holes like you that make me never really come to these forums.
And it's horrible analysis and seat of the pants conclusions like this that make me do what I do...