SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By eviltwinzzz
With the explsoion of handheld electronics now, smartphones, ipods and all the galaxy of other small devices we use, I see all kinds of solutions to saving this things when they get soaked, ie gell packs to absord the water, using instant rice and all other hacks to save these things, I wonder if my idea might work, was tried and didn't work or never tried. I am a casual Scuba Diver, I only do it once in a while, but one thing I know about a Scuba tank is, there is Zero Humidity, 0% h20 no water at all in the air from a scuba tank, has anyone tried a system using that dry as a bone air to save soaked electronics?? A scuba tank is actually a common off the shelf item. Seal the electronic device in the dry air, and maybe push in new dry air from the tank every few minutes till the device is completely dry.

As electronics experts and hobbyists, is this idea crazy? been done and didn't work, or just an impractical idea. I am assuming a scuba tank and a place to get it filled are locally available where you are.
By skimask
It's not the water that wrecks the electronics.
It's the crap in the water that immediately starts the corrosion that wrecks the electronics.
Who's got a perfect "air dryer" in their bag of tricks?
$700 top of the line iphone vs ~$200 scuba tank + $xxx for a sealed container to hold that air + $x,yyy to build an "air dryer" + the compressor + this + that + the other things.
Cheaper to just go out and buy a new one.
By jremington
Drying has been tried many, many times. Just drying out wet electronics doesn't work if there are salts dissolved in the water, because crystalline deposits that are electrically conductive and corrosive are left behind, destroying circuitry very quickly.