SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By fll-freak
After you updated the Forum a few months ago, the pages do not auto width/size very well. Even on a big screen chunks get cut off to the right. Composing this post, half the smilies to right of the composition window are cut off and the horizontal slider appears on the bottom. I have not looked, but my guess is you have some graphic that is horribly wide in the page definition. It would be very nice if you could hunt it down and trim it so that the window would resize properly.

PS: I have this issue with both IE and Firefox.
By skimask
No problems here, WinXP-Home/Pro, Win7Home/Pro, IE9, FF12, Chrome (whatever the latest edition is), Ubuntu 12.04/FF, and so on, even shows up normal on the Viewsonic G-Tablet on Android 2.3.5. Screen sizes range from 1280x600 up to 1600x1200.
The only time I have problems are when my left pinky finger slides off the normal keyboard area and triggers the zoom slider function on the keyboard itself (Logitech MX3200).
Hit the Cntrl - (minus key) a few times and see what happens.
By fll-freak
Zooming out (Cntrl-) does indeed display the whole screen but at the expense of being able to read the text! At a zoom of 1:1 the width gets trimmed.

Problem is visible on XP-Home, XP-Pro using Firefox11-13 and IE9.
By skimask
That's what I've got running on 2 of my laptops, XP-Home on one, XP-Pro on the other, IE9 & FF13 on both.
Then again, 1600x1200 screens...so I'm likely not seeing whichever graphic it is that's causing the issue. I'll head out to the shop, to the PC with the CRT, drop the resolution a step at a time and see if/when I see the same thing.
By Nick
I modified the theme to scale a little better for various screen sizes, so you should no longer see clipping as long as your window width is > 650px.
By fll-freak
Well I guess there is no pleasing me! Now I get unused space in the margins. I guess its not possible to have the text reformat based on the width of the user's screen? I do not remember this being an issue in the Forum prior to the major update. I think it rescaled auto-magically based on screen size. Is this the step back for every two steps forward?
By Nick
This is by design, however I've increased the minimum width to 800px to reduce the "wasted" space on low-res monitors
By propjohn
:( wow... this is awful (ok, not as bad as the eye-bleed red but still very uncomfortable). Regardless the width of my browser I wind up with 1.5" grey borders to both sides of the content. That's 3" of wasted monitor real-estate that I need. Win7 64-bit. A recent Firefox. 1280x1024.

I seem to remember that the default prosilver theme "just works". Please re-enable the option to switch to that theme. (What good is "branding" if the implementation chases people away?)
By Nick
propjohn wrote::( wow... this is awful (ok, not as bad as the eye-bleed red but still very uncomfortable). Regardless the width of my browser I wind up with 1.5" grey borders to both sides of the content. That's 3" of wasted monitor real-estate that I need. Win7 64-bit. A recent Firefox. 1280x1024.

I seem to remember that the default prosilver theme "just works". Please re-enable the option to switch to that theme. (What good is "branding" if the implementation chases people away?)
If you're seeing large bars at 1280x1024, try refreshing your cache (Shift+F5) - there was a brief moment where the min-width was set at 650px.