SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By startty
I've wired up a breadboard to connect my Olimex PIC-WEB to a backlit Hitachi-driven LCD. It works great!

It would be nice to have a small PCB & cables available so the next person won't have work so hard. It's only a few resistors and a bunch of wiring connections, could probably be done inside one of those cable-shroud setups.

Are there enough PIC-WEB users to justify a small run? I'm happy to provide my design to anyone who wants to build it or even duplicate my breadboard on their workbench.

I don't think it'll work with a PIC-MINI-WEB, since the backlit LCDs want 5V.
By rtaubitz
Hi startty, nice work on getting the LCD working :) Would it be possible for you to tell me how to connect it up? I have my PIC-MINI-WEB connected to 12v through a LM7805 (i'm powering it through VIN on the header), so could use that 5v for the backlight?
Also much difference in the source code?

Thanks in advance!
By OLIMEX
PIC-MAXI-WEB is coming with LCD and relays on board
PIC-MICRO-WEB is coming with PIC18F67J20 in DB25 plastic shell and Power-Over-Internet support
Best regards
Tsvetan
By Philba
OLIMEX wrote:PIC-MAXI-WEB is coming with LCD and relays on board
PIC-MICRO-WEB is coming with PIC18F67J20 in DB25 plastic shell and Power-Over-Internet support
Best regards
Tsvetan
sound interesting, can you give more info about PIC-MICRO-WEB? when will it be available? Will it support async/rs232? I have several applications that this sounds very appropriate for.
By OLIMEX
The schematic is on our web, it can take power from PoE hubs over the ethernet cable and voltage in range 9-35VDC.
All free PIC ports are available on the DB25 connector
Tsvetan
By Philba
I did not see PIC-MICRO-WEB on your site.

What would be perfect for me is PIC-WEB with POE.
By reklipz
OLIMEX wrote:hmm, do refresh to clear your browser cache
anyway this is direc link http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-micro-web.html
Tsvetan
Ah darn, beat me to the link.

It works fine for me Philba.
By startty
Sure, I can send you the schematic for the PIC-WEB to LCD interface and my copy of XLCD.c & XLCD.h

I also made a PCB file to have circuit boards printed for the interface. I'll know in a few days if it works.

Send me some email and I'll reply with what I have so far:

startty (at) startty (dot) com
By rtaubitz
OLIMEX wrote:The schematic is on our web, it can take power from PoE hubs over the ethernet cable and voltage in range 9-35VDC.
All free PIC ports are available on the DB25 connector
Tsvetan
Where in the world would I find a RJP-003TC1 Ethernet Jack? Whats built into it for POE?
Is this for homebrew poe systems only? Isn't the nominal POE voltage ~48vdc?
By OLIMEX
http://www.taimag.com/ it have two bridge rectifires inside
PoE could be on 48V and on 24V and on most hubs we have seen this is selectable option

Tsvetan
By rtaubitz
Thanks for the reply Tsvetan.
1 question, is the 001TC the same as the 003TC1? I can't find the 003 on the website. Also, is it possible to order the part through SFE?
:)
By startty
I've got some extra hardware in my supply cabinet.

Would anyone be interested in buying a fully-built and -tested 20 character x 4-row backlit LCD with bright white text on blue background, complete with PIC-WEB interface?

It would be ready to plug into your PIC-WEB's 20-pin EXTENSTION port. I'll send sample code & schematics in email so you can customize it for your application.

You might be able to modify it to work with PIC-MINI-WEB and others, but I haven't tested it.

Just cover some of my costs (parts, shipping, packaging, supplies, custom PC board, etc): $35, add more to ship outside of USA.

If interested, email me: startty (at) startty (dot) com
By inconnutto
Hellow, i am trying connect my Olimex PIC-WEB to a backlit Hitachi-driven LCD (5V) and i am using the MC54/74HC541 as a buffer to generate the 5V from my PIC-WEB board to 5V LCD,i am using the 5.3 microchip stack and have configurated my pins like this in hardwareprofil.h:
// LCD I/O pins
#define LCD_DATA_TRIS (TRISE)
#define LCD_DATA_IO (LATE)
#define LCD_RD_WR_TRIS (TRISBbits.TRISB1)
#define LCD_RD_WR_IO (LATBbits.LATB1)
#define LCD_RS_TRIS (TRISBbits.TRISB2)
#define LCD_RS_IO (LATBbits.LATB2)
#define LCD_E_TRIS (TRISBbits.TRISB3)
#define LCD_E_IO (LATBbits.LATB3)

i am sure about pins and buffer connections and get the 5V outputs as intented but still my LCD not working.
please help!