SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By capacitor2
I'm having some trouble getting my GM862-GPS to go online.

I've tested my SIM card in an iPhone 3GS, so I know the data plan is active and working properly. The GM862 connects to AT&T's network, I give it the same APN settings as the iPhone, but I always get an error back after the AT#GPRS=1 command "+CME ERROR: activation failed".

AT#CEER returns "#CEER: 237", which Telit's documentation (along with just about every other GPRS doc I can find) defines as "PDP unsuccessful activation cause SM refuse". However I can't seem to find the acronym 'SM' explicitly defined anywhere. Anyone else had this problem, or know what the #CEER: 237 error code means?

The only solution to "activation failed" I've seen suggested anywhere is to upgrade the GM862 firmware... I flashed the unit with the 07.03.401 and 07.03.402 revisions (hosted on round solutions web site), same behavior on all three (I started with 400). I also sent Telit an email earlier today but haven't heard back yet.

Also, the SIM is basically setup for an iPad or tablet, data plan only.
Code: Select all
OK
AT

OK
AT+CREG?

+CREG: 2,1,"178F","1CE1"

OK
AT+COPS?

+COPS: 0,0,"Cingular"

OK
AT+CGREG?

+CGREG: 2,1,"178F","1CE1"

OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","Broadband"

OK
AT#USERID=""

OK
AT#PASSW=""

OK
AT#GPRS=1

+CME ERROR: activation failed
AT#CEER

#CEER: 237

OK
By scottvlaminck
Did you ever track this down? I'm running into the same problem with a different module. Like you, I haven't been able to find any information about what "PDP unsuccessful activation cause SM refuse" means.
By Joeisi
Well, are there any other registers you could read to try to pinpoint your issue? I'm not familiar with GPS, but I would just go through debugging. Make sure all of the registers are outputting the correct values and not getting any flags.