SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By Inopia
Now that a fully digital imu can be done with just two chips (imu3000/itg3200 + accelerometer), why would I want to have that on a separate board and pay for all the manufacturing overhead/costs that incurs? Why would I want to worry about two separate MCUs?
By Daniel Wee
I agree - BMA180, ITG3200 or better. A good MCU.

Additionally:-
1. Runs on 3.3V (so that it can be integrated into various products without needing a separate 5V supply)
2. Small footprint (it needs to fit into various devices. All the current ones are too impractical and large.)
3. Forget bluetooth - wired I2C, SPI and UART options
4. did I say small? low pin count (maybe 4 or 5 pins header)

Something like the CHR6D:-

Daniel
By wsc
I kept meaning to post a response now that the Ultimate IMU has been released... and I hate to be negative here, but the product is very lacking IMHO.

First is the issue of the price. Sparkfun has painted themselves into a corner on the price, because the Razor IMU costs only $125 and has very similar hardware capabilities. So anyone looking at IMUs is going to compare the $200 price of the Ultimate to the much lower price of the Razor and wonder, WTF?

The next thing that bugged me was the product page for the Ultimate was almost entirely devoid of any helpful information. Please take the time to create a datasheet, user manual, etc etc for a product of this cost and complexity.

Lastly... the firmware. I poked through the firmware and did not see any Kalman filtering or anything else of significant value going on.

My personal decision at this time would be to pick up a CHR-6dm simply because it has the important feature (Kalman filter) while the Ultimate only has some nice convenience features (USB connector, SD slot, XBee connector) ... Of course that could be rectified with updated firmware.

Rant over, we now return to your normally scheduled programming :|
By nturpin77
Has anyone found any source for mounts for this unit? Ive been having a big problem finding anything small enough for the holes.

Thanks
By Coretex
I allready developed the ultimate IMU with redudant sensors and extended kalmanfilter+signal shaping processes and Bluetooth. STM32f103

And I'm now working on a IMU-300 version with STM32F407 and two Invensense MPU6050+HMC+Epson Barometer (10cm resolution). Another version will have accelerometers from Kolibris and VTI for slow motions.

i want to make the new project (imu300) open source, with all my algorithms and a cool abstraction layer for STM32 beginners.

Thanks!
By Harinath
STM32F103 is good to work on. Sony Move controller also work use this one. I'm also interested in STM32F103 platform for designing AHRS with USB & Bluetooth communication.
Would you please leave a message at http://harinadha.wordpress.com . So that we can communicate to work on STM32 open source project.

Thank you.