SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By fll-freak
I would like to suggest that the Forum provide an indication of skill level for users. Perhaps a 5 star system or just novice, beginner, ..., god.

My issue is that in answering questions, it is not always clear the intent of the OP. A question answered one way might be over the users head, but answered the other way might be insulting. Other forum I join have a way to self rate your skill level, perhaps it could be added here?

How about the following for a skill level:
1) I have no clue what a soldering iron is.
2) I have a general idea what one is.
3) I know what end of a soldering iron to grab
4) I have used a soldering iron without having to make a trip to the hospital
5) I have put together a kit and it worked
6) My sponge still looks like a sponge
7) I have replaced my sponge at least once.
8) I have more than one soldering iron
9) Forget the iron, I mostly use a hot plate.

Just looking to start a discussion..
By skimask
Gotta give those levels names...Noob thru Sparky or whatever, and make them part of the user profiles!
By fll-freak
Beginner) I have no/some clue what a soldering iron is.
Intermediate) I have put together a kit/simple project and it worked!
Practitioner) My sponge still looks like a sponge
Experienced) I have replaced my sponge at least once.
Advanced) I have more than one soldering iron.
Stark/Sparky/Master) Forget the iron, I mostly use a hot plate powered by a fuel cell I tossed together from my old cold fusion reactor.

Noob is often derogatory. Used beginner instead.
By lyndon
Good idea. I can usually infer the skill level from the way the question is phrased, but this would still be a help.

What I would love would be a way to avoid "drive-by" questions where the poster never returns to see if his question was answered. Because of this, I've gone to a habit of either not responding to questions unless it's clear the OP has returned to clarify/ask more, or else I just give a very basic answer and wait to see if they come back for more detail. Got tired of answering questions completely only to have it be a waste of time!