SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Duccan
Hello all,

I'm currently developing a RS-274X Gerber Viewer for the Android platform. I'm still in testing phase.
All my testing are performed with generated Gerber files from the CAM processor in CadSoft Eagle.
During the development of the application I found out that the Gerber file generated by Eagle aren't
100 % the smae as stated in the RS274X specification. There are some minor differences which matters
for how my application functionate.

That's why I asking for your help.To continue testing my application I need Gerber files generated
from a PCB layout editor other than CadSoft Eagle. You could be a great help if you sent me Gerber
files to the following email address: android.gerber.viewer[at]gmail.com

New app: Gerber Viewer

Image _Image

Image_Image

Image_Image
Greetings,
Duccan
Last edited by Duccan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
By leon_heller
I've just sent you Gerbers for a Pulsonix design of mine.
By Duccan
Leon, thanks for the gerber files.

It seem that there are indeed some minor differences with the Pulsonix and Eagle gerber files.
I had to make a few changes to make the Pulsonix gerber files work.
By leon_heller
Although I have a Dell Streak tablet running Android, I can't see me ever checking my Gerbers on it. I normally use GC-Prevue on my PC.
By Duccan
I do find it quite useful to have all my schematics and board layouts within reach without a computer.
By InactiveUser001
Ditto the above, cant see the use of it myself - however possibly useful for sales guys that have ipads :)

I have sent files from Easy-PC, Altium and CADSTAR for you to try.

Do you also open drill files?

Hopefully there will be a use for it, perhaps when pc's become completely replaced with mobiles :D
By Duccan
Thanks rrpilot! With all the gerber files I have received I have made many improvement with my application. It will be soon when my app hits the Android market.
By InactiveUser001
I take it you got the ones from me?
If you need more from CADSTAR let me know.

Have you also catered for drill files?

You could also work on the IPC2581 format and be the first to release the android viewer for that.
http://webstds.ipc.org/2581/2581intro.htm
http://webstds.ipc.org/2581/2581.htm

There are a couple of PC viewers for 2581 xml format now but thats about all - so its a developing market.
I suppose that there could be a use for it, although if you can charge for it - I doubt it as GC-Prevue etc are free for on the PC so who's going
to pay to mess around putting it on a phone or tablet?
I suppose someone who travels for hours by train and may want to check them while travelling... :)
By Duccan
Yes I have received your gerber files. My app view them properly.
As for the drill files. My app doesn't render these. I will update this for
the next version.

I have submitted Android Gerber Viewer in the market!
There is a free version available and a donate version available.
By rrpilot
Hey Duccan,

I'm unable to open Gerbers from my SD card, error: "Error Opening SD Card" on Motorolla Droid. Would be nice to overlay multiple layers as well.
By Duccan
I see. Create a folder in the root of the SD Card called "GerberFiles"
Probably something goes wrong creating the folder.
I'm looking into in right now..
By Duccan
I found the bug.
Before I write to the SD Card, I check if it is possible.
I performed the check on a folder which not yet existed.
So that´s the error.

I will publish the new version right away.

EDIT: Version 0.1.1 now available
By rrpilot
The application now crashes upon loading my Gerber from DesignSpark, unfortunately I cannot give you my Gerber.