SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By No Such Nick
I'm currently trying to redeem my free day code (Yay!). Since i'm not from the US, my main problem at the moment is to reduce the shipping costs, so that the code actually makes sense for me. My first shopping cart was $65 for shipping, i'm now down to $20 (uninsured). As far as i can tell the shipping costs are mainly based on weight (maybe also on volume?).
It would be really helpfull for me, if i could see the weight of my items in the shopping cart and the wish list view. I have 120 items on my wish lists, and seeing their weight would really help me remove the worst offenders.

Bye,
NsN
By fll-freak
On the subject of weight, how about adding the weight itself to each product page? For some of us each gram is a gram we can't afford. I know that some parts have a listed weight, and some have it on a datasheet. But if you purchased a small scale, you could list the weight of each item and make many of us very happy.
By Brennen@SparkFun
As Paul says, we've got packed weight and dimensions (very roughly) for each product. We have a ticket in for a feature that exposes this information. Someone will write the code as soon as the tuit supply is refreshed.
By CS Paul
fll-freak wrote:On the subject of weight, how about adding the weight itself to each product page? For some of us each gram is a gram we can't afford. I know that some parts have a listed weight, and some have it on a datasheet. But if you purchased a small scale, you could list the weight of each item and make many of us very happy.
What we have recorded is the shipping weight - how much an item weighs with the requisite wrapping, foam, or other packaging. I hesitate to add an actual weight, as it is less concrete. A supplier or manufacturer change may result in an item that is functionally the same, but weighs a gram more or less. A gram or two either direction won't affect our shipping calculations, but would potentially upset someone who is counting grams as you suggest. Kits and other multi-part products would pose problems as well.

We do have scales sensitive enough to measure the smallest of items we carry. I would recommend contacting Tech Support or Customer Service for an actual weight so you can get the weight of the actual item we have on our shelf at that time.