SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By JRMN
I am unable to open http://www.sparkfun.com here at work using IE8.

I get the following error message:

Internet Explorer cannot download / from www.sparkfun.com
Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavabilble or cannot be found. Please try again later.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
By Erik
Do you still have this problem? I was unable to reproduce it myself in IE8, but I may have different settings/versions/whatever.

My test box ran IE 8.0.6001 on Windows XP SP3
By JRMN
That's weird, I have the exact same setup (IE 8.0.6001 on Windows XP SP3), but it doesn't work for me. Maybe it has something to do with my settings?!?!
By Erik
JRMN wrote:That's weird, I have the exact same setup (IE 8.0.6001 on Windows XP SP3), but it doesn't work for me. Maybe it has something to do with my settings?!?!
Either that, or could it be you're behind some kind of special firewall that blocks the site because of outside content (like our embedded youtube videos)?
By dnchayes
Perhaps related...I had trouble when I tried to place an order over the (long) weekend:

After I have filled in the required blanks on the web order form, I couldn't "Continue" (it's not an active link.)

I called and the helpful person said that some folks were having trouble with this and that the work-around was to disable Javascript.

In my case:
MacBookPro 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory
OS X Version 10.6.8
Firefox 8.0.1

I turned off Javascript:
Firefox -> Preferences -> Content
uncheck the "enable Javascript" box

And I was able to submit my order.

-Dale
By BernardOfCa
I have similar problems with IE9. I removed IE9 and went back to 8 and the re-installed IE9. Problem is still there. The website shows very poorly (like no stylesheet). Sometimes I get asked if I want to download sparkfun_com... Most likely an issue on my side but I did reset everything I could possibly think of (security, etc...). Website is OK with Firefox in an Ubuntu VMWare machine. Does not seem to happen on other sites (I randomly web browse quite a lot)