SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
After skratching my head for a couple of months already with AVR Studio and an AVRISP STK500 and the like, I am sick and tired of all this and I would like to install the Arduino bootloader on my Geiger Counter which I bought waay back (and never properly used) from Sparkfun. Than, I will try to upload a sketch on it.

I tried using the arduino IDE. No luck! I see it does boast an ATMEGA328 so it should!

Should I do something in particular?

I am really desperate right now!

Any help is truly appreciated!
By trialex
Well, which bootloader are you trying to burn to the geiger counter?

There are many different versions of the bootloader - you need to choose the one that matches the processor type (i.e. mega328/mega168/etc) and processor speed (1/8/16 MHz) that your board is running at. Although some of the boards options are given as "3.3V" I think this is essentially refering to processor speed - technically running at 16MHz on a 3.3V board is out of spec per the mega168/328 datasheet.

The schematic for the counter (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sens ... er-v19.pdf) shows it is a mega328 with NO external crystal (i.e. running on the internal clock source). I THINK (I don't have a copy of the arduino IDE in front of me), there might be an old version of the lilypad bootloader that uses this configuration? (The latest lilypads use a '328 @ 8MHz internal).

If none of the built in configurations match your set up, you could either "hack" a crystal (or resonator) onto the processor, or modify an existing bootloader and re-compile. I'm sure there is one around somewhere though - I'm sure I've used this configuration on one of my home made clones.
Hey! Thank you so much, trialex!

I think I just managed to get the firmware updated with AVR STudio. So I have to try a few things in this configuration before I delve into what you had written. As I finally got this to work (I think) I don't want to spoil it by doing something stupid before I try a few things.

The part with hacking a crystal onto the board sound scary though!

Once again.. I really appreciate your help!!!