SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By boba_teff
What are Tx and Rx pins used for, and can they be used for I2c or something similar!
By Mee_n_Mac
Tx Rx pins on what ? Typically they are for some form of serial connection but what lies inside the device (UART, I2C controller, SPI controller, RS-232) perhaps sharing these pins can vary.
By boba_teff
I didn't see the duplicate post post and still can't (browsing on my iPod) and assumed that it didn't post. I am talking about the pins on SF's 1.7 inch OLED module. I was thinking of building a shield that used it, a joystick, wifi, and a ps/2 port for a keyboard as a miniature terminal shield.
By Mee_n_Mac
boba_teff wrote:I didn't see the duplicate post post and still can't (browsing on my iPod) and assumed that it didn't post. I am talking about the pins on SF's 1.7 inch OLED module. I was thinking of building a shield that used it, a joystick, wifi, and a ps/2 port for a keyboard as a miniature terminal shield.
You know it helps, and is considered "good form" to include a link to the product you're asking about. I assume it's this ...

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8543

Given that, if you had bothered to look for 30 seconds at the data sheet you'd see the Tx (pin 3) and Rx (pin5) are connected to the UART internal to the display. The format is a standard serial link (no mention of I2C, nor SPI) following 8N1 at baud rates btw 300 - 256K. It appears the parts runs at 3.3V although these pins are listed as being 5V tolerant.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
By macegr
Might be coming down a little hard on this guy, Mee_n_Mac. They may not know that TX and RX pins are hardly a universal concept, what a UART is, how to read a datasheet, or even what a datasheet is supposed to contain.
By Mee_n_Mac
macegr wrote:Might be coming down a little hard on this guy, Mee_n_Mac. They may not know that TX and RX pins are hardly a universal concept, what a UART is, how to read a datasheet, or even what a datasheet is supposed to contain.
Perhaps but it sure came across as someone being incredibly lazy.
By macegr
Sometimes people new to the field don't even know how basic their question is, or when they're being lazy :)

Now I'll agree, that explanation is at odds with being able to design and build a touchscreen shield.