Balloon SSID location without Wifi shield or GPS

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
sbright33

Balloon SSID location without Wifi shield or GPS

Post by sbright33 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm making one of these:
http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html

I could get the SSID of any nearby Wifi from a small keychain Wifi finder. It wouldn't need to be so sensitive. It could miss a few and take 5 minutes until it gets the next one from high up. Then send it via 60mw Xbee.

I would know the approximate location of the Balloon! Enough to find it anyway.

Wouldn't this be better/cheaper than GPS?
In case it was lost...

MichaelN
Support Volunteer

Re: Balloon SSID location without Wifi shield or GPS

Post by MichaelN » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 pm

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:31 am

Sorry I thought I changed it enough and asked a different question to fit the topic of the forum.

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am

I figured the readers of this topic would be Pro-GPS, which is the side I wanted to hear. Why GPS might be better or just as good?

MichaelN
Support Volunteer

Post by MichaelN » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:34 pm

sbright33 wrote:I figured the readers of this topic would be Pro-GPS, which is the side I wanted to hear. Why GPS might be better or just as good?
Honestly, I can't think of why you wouldn't just use GPS. If cost is a big issue, you can get complete GPS units on Ebay for under $20 (eg this or this).

EDIT: I just realized those modules might be a bit heavy for your application. There are plenty of modules that are smaller & lighter (eg this, but you'd need to add an antenna). If I was making a bunch of them, I'd probably make a custom PCB with integrated chip antenna to suit a GPS module such as the Venus634LPx (you could get better prices from the manufacturer if you order a few, but it seems that particular module may not be available anymore).

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:21 pm

You're right! $20 is cheap! I'm sold on GPS! Time is money developing my difficult method. The Venus is $80 inc ant and UART board, but it is very cool! The weight of the $20 unit shouldn't be an issue, these balloons are BIG. I will send my old USB GPS up first to prove the weight will work. Can I just plug it into the USB Host Shield? I don't need a driver to receive NMEA? I guess not, since I don't have to reply, it's 1-way communication. Software help to get me started please? Example code? I've been programming C for 20 years. It sends NMEA to my PC thru USB already.

MichaelN
Support Volunteer

Post by MichaelN » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:53 am

sbright33 wrote:...I will send my old USB GPS up first to prove the weight will work. Can I just plug it into the USB Host Shield? I don't need a driver to receive NMEA? I guess not, since I don't have to reply, it's 1-way communication
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the USB Host Shield, but this seems to be an overly complicated way of doing things. A GPS unit with a TTL output would be much simpler. I guess if you already have the USB GPS unit and USB Host Shield, it might be worth a try, but certainly not if any significant coding is required.

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 am

Turns out to be quite Simple! Here's the project:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/commu ... ost-shield

The Unabridged code which should work immediately for everyone and most USB receivers:
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shiel ... inygps.pde

This is the only change needed to TinyGPS:
bool feedgps()
{
uint8_t rcode;
uint8_t buf[64];
uint16_t rcvd = 64;
{
rcode = Pl.RcvData(&rcvd, buf);
if (rcode && rcode != hrNAK)
ErrorMessage<uint8_t>(PSTR("Ret"), rcode);
rcode = false;
if( rcvd ) {
for( uint16_t i=0; i < rcvd; i++ ) {
if( gps.encode(buf)) {
rcode = true;
}}}}
return( rcode );
}

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 am

Just remembered I have an old V900 logger w USB. Tiny, light and the battery lasts for a month in "Spy Mode". The only problem is that it doesn't work in 1/2 of the world. The lower half due to a bug. Unfortunately this is where I'm going...

sbright33

Post by sbright33 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:37 am

Hooked a Razr to UNO for communication! Will test the weight requirements before I complete the project. Is it possible to use one USB Host port to talk to both GPS and phone at same time? Well you know switching one then the other.

Return to “GPS”