SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By Williwaw
Hi all-
I have searched this problem and have seen it quite a bit, but still have not been able to solve mine. When I try to upload to my
Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz via FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V with Windows7 (64bit) i receive the following error.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp 0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect 0x14, resp 0x51

I downloaded Arduino-0022 for 64bit Windows and when I use it, I choose the correct board and "check" the only port that is available.
I have also gone to Device Manager>>Ports(COM&LPT)>>USB Serial Port (COM7) and have tried different baud rates, ports and set RTS on close.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
-Thank you
By Williwaw
Is there anywhere I can find what the meaning/sequence of LED flashes denote on the ProMini? For example, I now have a continuous green quick flash on the LED down by pin10 and a steady red on the LED that is in the center next to the amt chip.
-Thanks
By Williwaw
**SOLVED**
My problem was that I was using Arduino Stackable Header Kit with regular male pins and it was not make a solid connection. It appears that you need to use the extra long male header pins to make a solid connection. In my case, I just used the normal male/female header pins that I all ready had and it works fine.

I would still be interested in the LED flashing configuration and what the flashes mean if anybody has a link?
By rubinoae
I'm having the same problem. After your post I rechecked the headers and found at least one completely broken off. I resoldered a new set but still have not been able to resolve the problem. I've checked the physical connection, the drivers, even a new USB cable. I have two brand new arduino pro minis and a new FTDI board and i am having the same problem with both. Any suggestions?
By Williwaw
rubinoae wrote:I'm having the same problem. After your post I rechecked the headers and found at least one completely broken off. I resoldered a new set but still have not been able to resolve the problem. I've checked the physical connection, the drivers, even a new USB cable. I have two brand new arduino pro minis and a new FTDI board and i am having the same problem with both. Any suggestions?
I am sorry to report I have very little experience with these so I may not be the best help. It sounds like a problem with your ?computer? if you are having the same problem with both boards. Do you have access to another computer you can try and upload with? If you have a voltmeter you can test the continuity of the Arduino>>FTDI>>USB cable.

One thing...kind of a stupid question on my part: You have a voltage match between your Arduino and FTDI. That is to say, both the Arduino and FTDI are the 5V version or both 3V version?

Just my .02
-Bill
By rubinoae
Williwaw wrote:
rubinoae wrote:I'm having the same problem. After your post I rechecked the headers and found at least one completely broken off. I resoldered a new set but still have not been able to resolve the problem. I've checked the physical connection, the drivers, even a new USB cable. I have two brand new arduino pro minis and a new FTDI board and i am having the same problem with both. Any suggestions?
I am sorry to report I have very little experience with these so I may not be the best help. It sounds like a problem with your ?computer? if you are having the same problem with both boards. Do you have access to another computer you can try and upload with? If you have a voltmeter you can test the continuity of the Arduino>>FTDI>>USB cable.

One thing...kind of a stupid question on my part: You have a voltage match between your Arduino and FTDI. That is to say, both the Arduino and FTDI are the 5V version or both 3V version?

Just my .02
-Bill
The problem could be with my PC but everything works when I use my Arduino Uno. No proplems uploading sketches. When I try to upload to either Arduino mini using the FTDI I get the errors. I have tried multiple USB cables and have ensured the voltages match. I've resoldered leads and removed all extraneous components. Nothing seems to help. I'm becoming very discouraged at this point...
By rubinoae
esklar81 wrote:rubinoae,

Have you checked that you're using the most recent Arduino IDE and that you have changed the setting from Uno to whatever flavor board/interface you're trying to use?

Eric
I was careful to choose the correct board and port in the IDE and I am pretty sure I am using the latest version. The first time I ever downloaded and installed it was about a month or two ago. Perhaps I will double check to male sure I am running the latest.

Edit: yup, running the latest arduino IDE and latest ftdi drivers.

Edit: hmm...looks like i might have a broken pin inside the mini USB connector on the FTDI board itself. how unfortunate. I've ordered a replacement and will let you know if it fixes it.