SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By rpcelectronics
EmbeddedMan wrote:Yah, I got the Rigol DS1052 when they were selling them for $375. It's awesome -way more scope than I expected for that price. Yes, I wish it were faster. But the whole usb interface to the PC thing is really, really nice. Lots of great measurements, easy to use controls. Even at the $500 price I would recommend it as a first scope.
I just ordered a Rigol DS1052 from DealExtreme for $405 shipped. Looking forward to comparing it to my Owon.
By ozbecool
RIGOL DS1052 is a VERY BASIC oscilloscope.
For an amateur who does not have any cro yet - might be ok. For a bit advanced use - no.
It has some nice features for signal measuring , triggering etc but its cons are pretty strong:
- its display resolution is shockingly low (I missed it when reading reviews before I bought it; my mistake!) : ONLY 64K TFT LCD: this alone kills this cro;
- very low scanning rate at time base near 10ms : scans once per 1.7 sec only !!!, for TB=5ms scans once per 400ms ! And the scan rate is not properly dependant on TB: eg. for TB=50ms it is = ~ 600ms i.e. FASTER than for TB=20 ms. This makes TB=20ms almost useless for waveforms that change faster than 10x20ms = 200ms. Other ranges in general have also too slow scan rate; to the point that after a while your eyes get tired from watching the dodgy refreshes
- there are 2 cursors available (std and OK feature) but ONLY one knob to control them, therefore you have to keep changing which cursor you will move by pressing TWO buttons first and then adjusting the knob.
I had to buy something (my old cro went bust) and I bought it (after reading some reviews) and it appears that this purchase was a mistake - I will be reselling it soon and buying something better.
By guru_florida
Oh, I am still all giddy over my DS1052D. lol. This is the version that comes with the logic probe. I've been wanting an scope ever since I lost access to the tektronics 15 years ago! They were always just so expensive though. All this time I used a simple multimeter and a lot of guesswork to figure out what was going on in my circuits, (hmmm, Is that 2.5 VDC, or 2.5V AC RMS? Who knows! lol) I've done a lot of FPGA, modems, analog and other digital stuff that really needed a scope. I'm still giddy because I no longer have to guess what's going on, a quick probe and it's usually obvious.

Having said that, like some said, it might not be up to snuff of some professionals - especially if they are used to the expensive scopes. For me, it kills the tektronics I had 15 yrs ago, and my simple multimeter, so I'm happy. (which was already prob 10 yrs old!) Of course, you cant compare it to a Tektronics today. (dont get me wrong).

The visual resolution is not large, about 255 pixels vertical. The ADC is also only 8bit...this makes sense since having a 10bit ADC for a 255 pixel vertical image is overkill. I get by with the limited resolution, I still see lots of signal detail.

I love having a logic probe. Having only two analog probes is just not enough in the digital world when you usually need to correlate a bunch of digital signals together.

So far the scope has had an option to handle every type of scenario I needed.

To the person that commented on how long the scanning rate is at higher time scales, did you take into account that the scope stores a lot of signal before and after trigger? So for 5ms/div it stores probably around 72 divisions worth. So in total, about 360 ms. You may be able to change this window so it only stores what the screen can show and that would speed up the scan rate.

I've taken some waveforms off onto the computer. If you take the screenshot it works great (it's just a gif image.) If you take the waveform and use thier software, their software kind of sucks. I made a java program that views it that is better but it's not ready for wide spread release yet. The format of the waveform data is not difficult to figure out and it includes analog and digital channel data.
By alandsidel
I have a Link Instruments MSO-19 that I ordered here from Sparkfun a week or so ago. USB scope and logic analyzer. I have been looking for an "entry level" scope for a while now, just something to help me debug the stuff I'm building off EmbeddedMan's awesome UBW32. I have always been skeptical of USB scopes because, historically, they've been garbage. Little better than the "sound card oscilloscopes" people have been kludging together for the past 15 or 20 years.

Not a piece of junk, and for the price, I don't think it can be beat except by the rare craigslist / ebay quality used used traditional scopes.

Since I've only had it about a week now so there may yet be undiscovered bugs or flaws, but so far I'm extremely happy with it.

I do have a few complaints but they are really pretty minor.

The software leaves a bit to be desired. It's easy to use if you're used to working on benchtop scopes, but a PC is capable of so much more; an "advanced" user interface would be very welcome. This may be possible, since the USB-PC interface is a standard COM port deal. I intend to look into it, being a PC developer by trade.

The logic analyzer clips that came with it are very annoying; their pins don't fit the leads coming from the device well at all, and the slightest bit of jostling can knock the wires off the probes. This is easy to remedy though with another set of probes.

If like me you're mostly doing "slow" TTL/CMOS logic stuff, and not as much messing around with analog signals, it's almost perfect. The 8 analyzer leads mean there's no guesswork from moving probes around and correlating signals, and if one of the signals doesn't look right, it's easy to check for ringing or harmonics with the independent scope probe.
By michaelgmaloy
alandsidel wrote:I have a Link Instruments MSO-19 that I ordered here from Sparkfun a week or so ago.
so how has it been working so far? i'm planning to order one for myself and that's why i'm interested in different views and opinions
By alandsidel
michaelgmaloy wrote:
alandsidel wrote:I have a Link Instruments MSO-19 that I ordered here from Sparkfun a week or so ago.
so how has it been working so far? i'm planning to order one for myself and that's why i'm interested in different views and opinions
It's been absolutely great.

I've been using it to test and debug a UBW32 that I'm hanging some different parallel load registers off of, both with SPI and manual clocking, and it's working perfectly for that. I haven't gotten around to i2c yet.

The real benefit (for me, anyway) has been the logic analyzer more than the raw scope capabilities.

Here's a screenshot of reading in from a 74HCT165. Manual clocking, using StickOS BASIC. Click for a larger version.