SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By george graves
How about someone switch on the ability to edit posts?

There really isn't a reason why that shouldn't be an option. (yes, I sure you could think of one if you really tried)

We're all adults here - how about we turn that on?
By skimask
It is on. Just gotta look for it after you post. And you can't edit an old post after awhile.

See...I just edited this post.

I just edited this post again.

I edited this post again, for the third time. If the editing function has been turned off, well, maybe, never mind, not so much.

4th time editing this post. Am I on a roll?

Wow. 5 edits in a row! I'm on a roll.

6 edits so far. But I'm going to quit now. I think the point has been made.

7 edits and 7 minutes later...still editing...

8 edits and yet another 11 minutes later...still editing...
Last edited by skimask on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By george graves
It's on for like 5 mins. Why not just turn it on-on?

(and you knew what I meant...grrr...concrete thinking)

And for that matter, why not be able to delete posts? Why have this forum so locked down? Why not open it up?

Just cause there is some setting in the admin control panel that looks like it might crack down on something, doesn't mean it's a good ting to turn it on...

(EDIT: ok - now you are just being obnoxious)
By skimask
Ok, now after about an hour, no more edits.
...deal...
By george graves
phalanx wrote:It was fairly common to see threads that had been deleted by people who had their questions answered or came to the realization that they did something silly. Since deleted posts don't help the community at all, the forum has been set to prevent people from editing or deleting their posts after 20 minutes.

-Bill
Weak sauce. I bet you could think of 100 reason why editing posts is helpful and speeds up communications, give people a chance to change typos, errors, insert pictures, make things more clear, correct errors in code, keep updated info into the first post where it's easily readable.... Should I go on?

I only suggest it because I care....And....there is an air of...well... treating the users like children when you start to lock things down. But, with skimask's post, I may be expecting too much. ;)

No skin off my nose...enjoy.

gg
By FartingMonkey92
george graves wrote:"Should I go on?"
No need. Compleatly agree about the first post stuff...
When browsing other forums, very little annoys me more than peeps double/triple posting just to update their findings and whatnot... (not their fault, mostly.)
By phalanx
george graves wrote:Weak sauce. I bet you could think of 100 reason why editing posts is helpful and speeds up communications, give people a chance to change typos, errors, insert pictures, make things more clear, correct errors in code, keep updated info into the first post where it's easily readable.... Should I go on?

I only suggest it because I care....And....there is an air of...well... treating the users like children when you start to lock things down. But, with skimask's post, I may be expecting too much. ;)
I wish the world was filled with mature people that don't act like dinks when given a public forum to speak in. Unfortunately that world doesn't exist and steps have to be taken to keep things operating smoothly and within the spirit of the Sparkfun philosophy. I wish I didn't have to limit everyone's ability to edit/delete posts (or moderate 1st posts for that matter) but the permissions that I have access to for edit/deletion times apply to the board as a whole and not individual user groups which keeps me from creating an established user group free from these restrictions.

-Bill
By phalanx
After thinking about it for a while, I'll take off the restriction on editing posts but you will still have 20 minutes to figure out if you want to delete your post or not.

-Bill
By fll-freak
phalanx wrote:After thinking about it for a while, I'll take off the restriction on editing posts but you will still have 20 minutes to figure out if you want to delete your post or not.

-Bill
Not sure this is a good idea. Enabling edits allows for revisionary history. In a back and forth type thread if people can change their old postings, then future readers can be very confused. I would allow for edits as long as nobody had posted after you. Once that new post is made, the post should be locked.

If you want to revise data, post the new information in new message. Or better yet, if SFE had a Wiki, you could update the wiki and post a link to it from the Forum. (hint hint hint).
By george graves
(It *could* cause confusion, but it's in the each posters best interest to be understood clearly, so I doubt people will edit their posts to confuse people.)

I say let's live dangerously!

Thanks Bill!

gg