SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By arix
Hi,
I mounted a HanRun HR911105A RJ45 MagJack to the SparkFun breakout board for MagJack and using ENC28J60 and Arduino with Atmega328 chip managed to implement an example web server.

I used this tutorial:
http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/ind ... roject_eth

After finishing with the hardware, I programmed Arduino with "ethershield_ping.pde" example from that tutorial.

Now when I connect Ethernet cable to MagJack, the laptop (on Win XP) don't detect any connection right at once. I have the standard ip set from the example "192.168.1.15", and if I set my laptop network address to something like 192.168.1.1 (both ip and gateway), then a network is recognized, BUT anyway pinging returns "request timed out". When connecting the cable even without the network being recognized, the green LED of link goes on and stays on. When pinging, it starts to blink (after each "request timed out"). The yellow LED never goes on!

Could you please guide me out of this situation? :D
By stevech
cable from laptop to Ethernet module ... it needs to be a cross-over cable unless both the module and the PC support automatic detection of wiring.

I always use an ethernet switch to avoid this possibility. The switch built into common home WiFi routers will do.
I have a cheap 10/100 switch that I use for such things.
By arix
well I have a router and I have both cross and ordinary Ethernet cables. Non of them worked. Is there other troubleshooting techniques?
By B0SC0
You need to compare the two different types of Magjack's.

They are probably wired differently.

Look at the datasheets for both.

If you are using a Sparkfun breakout board, why didn't you use the Sparkfun Magjack?

Not all Magjack's are the same, but sometimes you can use different types or manufacturer's by adjusting to whatever pinout wiring is needed.

I am presently doing something similar.

B0SC0