SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By follower
Hi all...

I'm writing up a tutorial based on a project I've been working on and in the process I've extracted a high-level wrapper library for SD card access. I thought some people might be interested in using it for their own purposes.

An alpha release is available from: http://sparkfun.com/Code/MemoryCard/Mem ... lpha-1.zip

The library wraps the standard sdfatlib library and provides some higher-level functions and provides four key benefits:
  • Including `MemoryCard.h` automatically creates a global `MemoryCard` object which can be interacted with in a similar manner to other standard global objects like `Serial` and `Ethernet`.
  • Boilerplate initialisation code is contained in one method named `begin` and no further objects need to be created in order to access the memory card.
  • Calls to `open` can supply a full path name including parent directories which simplifies interacting with files in subdirectories.
  • Utility methods are provided to determine whether a file exists and to create a directory heirarchy.
Note however that not all functionality provided by the underlying sdfatlib library is exposed.

Example use:
Code: Select all
 MemoryCard.begin();

MemoryCard.makeDir("/apple/banana/cabbage/");

if (MemoryCard.exists("/apple/banana/cabbage/")) {
 }

MemoryCard.open("/apple/banana/cabbage/dolphin.txt", true);

MemoryCard.file.println("This line was appended to the file.");

MemoryCard.close();
I'm not entirely happy with the API (in terms of file interaction and read/write control) but it's a start and worked for the purpose for which I needed it.

Feel free to provide feedback.

--Philip;