SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Aspire
I generally find Sparkfun boards easy to use, but somehow I am struggling with Openlog.

I have carried out 2 tests so far. I am using 2GB micro SD Card of Patriot Memory.

TEST 1
Openlog -- Arduino Pro Mini
---------------------------
3.3V - VCC (3.3v)
GND - GND
TX - 8 (NewSoftSerial RX)
RX - 9 (NewSoftSerial TX)
GRN - RST
BLK - GND
Code: Select all
#include <NewSoftSerial.h>
NewSoftSerial logger(8,9);

void setup() {
pinMode(8, INPUT);
pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
 delay(1000); //just to let everything settle down after power up
 Serial.begin(9600);
 logger.begin(9600);

logger.println("I should be written to the file!");
}

void loop() { }
Downloaded above sketch to arduino mini, ran it. Took SD Card out plugged to USB via card reader. Empty!

TEST 2
--------
( Based on http://gentlenav.googlecode.com/svn-his ... ction.wiki)
FTDI 3.3V Connector -- OpenLog
RX - TX
TX - RX
VCC - VCC
GND - GND
DTR - GRN
Openlog's BLK kept open

Started serial terminal of Arduino software(v. 0018) at 9600 bps. I get '12' on terminal. I sent '?' back. No response. I typed random things , pressed enter, random things, pressed enter, checked SD Card -- empty!

Now, I am clueless :cry: , and hope to find some help on this forum :roll: .
By Aspire
Update:
- Culprit was micro SD card. I got Sandisk 2GB micro SD card, and it worked.
- Patriot microSD do not work with Openlog
- LED Blinks w/o SD Card, LED stays solid when card inserted
- Use Hyperterminal and not Arduino Serial Monitor
- Play with Openlog+FTDI before jumping to Openlog+Arduino
- If saving characters less than 512 bytes. Use sync OR ctrl+z(ASCII 26) to save data

New issues:
Things worked fine for some time. No changes made to firmware (on openlog or arduino). No changes made to Baud rate.
Now, all of a sudden Openlog does not work.

- LED does not blink or stay solid irrespective of card is in or out. :(
- Connection cannot be established over hyperterminal
- Resetting of Openlog by connecting RX to GND did not work for me
By foxOnTheRun
sparky wrote:Weirdness. What version of OpenLog firmware do you have? Sounds like you might have v1.0 of the firmware which is fairly buggy. I'd love to walk you through an update if possible.
I'm interested to! :D - I think I got some 1.0 openLog (when I type '?' I get the menu but no indication of firmware revision and they are missing some read command).

I've attached the board to my PC via a serial + MAX232 and I can correctly interact with openLog (I use Putty as terminal program).

Can I refer to the standard reflash procedure written in the wiki? for what I understand, I could power up the openLog board (without playing the short-to-gnd pin game) and then try to find the right timing to issue the update command at the command prompt (the one involving avrdude), is that all?

Are there anymore information you would like to add?

Thank you.
By sparky
Nice work! You are correct. A power-up reset should work fine for bootloading, you'll just have to start avrdude.exe at roughly the same time you power up the openlog. It's hard to time it right, that's why they invented the DTR reset trick.
By jtuhtan
Having a similar problem connecting to my Arduino Pro Mini 5V 328 using New Soft Serial. One issue may have been the firmware which was installed on my Open Log, which can now be updated via the Arduino GUI directly (don't pay attention to the GitHub site's instructions on flashing the firmware using avrdude, they are no longer up to date, and there is no version of the main.hex file anywhere to be found!).

Instead, go here: http://github.com/nseidle/OpenLog/tree/ ... penLog_v2/ and just save the .pde sketch, upload it to Open Log, and then you should have the newest version of the firmware.

However, after exhaustive experimentation with Open Log, I can only get it to create empty files, which more than a little dissapointing. If anyone out there has actually gotten their Open Log to work with an Arduino Pro Mini, it would be great to know how...
By mcogill
I have had a lot of problems with buggy OPENLOGs. The one I have now is that it gives me an error message when it is asked to read using a script running in Arduino. It has the latest firmware. It works fine when it runs via USB but when I use a battery I get this message:

"e r r o r o p e n i n g t e s t . l o g"

I am running a telit 863 concurrently but, as I mentioned it isn't a problem when I use a USB.
I have tried shielding the OPENLOG in case of EMC issues. I have lowered the OPENLOG's operating voltage by using a analogwrite pwm command. I have tried grounding the extra pins. I will try using diodes to limit backwards noise on signal lines.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
By mcogill
Other things I have tried in order to solve this- I programmed the micro-controller to turn off the OPENLOG while the telit module registers and put the receive pin in a LOW state and then turned them back on in order to read. Again, this works using the USB but with external power nothing I can think of works. :(

Does anyone know how to use caps or diodes to filter against conducted emissions?

Other thoughts? Please let me know.