SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By vicviper789
I need to replace my 40w radio shack iron. The screw that holds the tip in broke off and I don't feel like drilling it out and getting a replacement tip sent over here (Serving over seas) I was going to get another $10 iron but I think it is time to step up and buy a good iron. Thinking about either the digital or analog iron on spark funs site. Not sure what the difference is though, does the digital one offer finer control and less heat in the base? Looks like the digital one just has a temp read out. I am familiar with the buy cheap buy twice saying, I would go with a weller but I know spark fun has fast and reasonable shipping (also need some other stuff from them) I also read the reviews and they were all positive. I know they are worth the price but my question is which one should I choose, analog or digital?

Thanks!
By frank26080115
When I got my first and only "good" iron, I went straight for a Weller WES-51. My main concern was the availability of replacement tips, and for Weller, you can get them from absolutely everywhere at any time (almost every local supplier here has a collection of them).

If I had to pick between digital or analog, I'd pick analog, because I'm not going to pay an extra $20 to push some membrane switches when I can save $20 to have a nice easy-to-turn dial.
By MichaelN
I agree with Frank - I can't see the point of digital displays on soldering irons.

I've had a Hakko 936 for the last 12 years, and am very happy with it.
By mac
I had a CSI 2A station, quite good but not enough power for leadfree solder.
Switched to a CSI-2901, analog one, quite more power and very good for leadfree.

Analog or digital is more a matter of taste, under the hood it's the same control system.
By gmarsh
MichaelN wrote:I agree with Frank - I can't see the point of digital displays on soldering irons.

I've had a Hakko 936 for the last 12 years, and am very happy with it.
100% agreed. Even though I've only had my 936ESD for the last 10 years ;)