SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By jimccd
I just received some new MSP-JTAG-TINYs but I can't get them to work with IAR kickstart (communication error). I downloaded the latest Olimex drivers, is there a new trick I'm missing?
By jel0327
I just got my JTAG-TINY and couldn't get it to work with IAR EW MSP430 V 4.10 or 5.something. I installed the files that OLIMEX gives on there web page and now I can download programs, but I cannot debug them. The debugger's all over the place.
By GoBears
has ANYBODY actually gotten this combination to work end-to-end? these worked fine with IAR EW430 3.42.

i have multiple JTAG-TINYs that do not appear to work with any of the following: (1) the olimex DLLs with drivers shipped with EW430 (in 430/drivers/olimex), (2) the 1.011 drivers+DLLs from olimex (which are basically the ones that IAR is shipping), and (3) the newest 1.021 drivers+DLLs from olimex.

the IDE says:
Code: Select all
Tue Mar 25 13:08:51 2008: Interface dll version unknown
Tue Mar 25 13:08:51 2008: Failed to load debugee: ....
so i'm not even getting to the download phase.

if you have gotten this to work, it would be helpful to share the exact procedure used. i've tried following the olimex instructions literally (which overwrites the TI MSP430.DLL) and installing the olimex MSP430.DLL as OLIMEX.DLL (which is what IAR seems to be doing with their preinstalled olimex DLL).

of course, the 4.10A IDE works fine with the TI MSP-FET430UIF...