SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By Gene Bauer
Newbie Here

Installed IAR Kickstart v4.41A from CD on XP machine.

Inserted eZ430 in USB.

Navigated the Wizard to C:\Program Files\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 4.0\430\drivers\TIUSBFET\WinXP. As per "Quick Start".

XP sez, "Cannot Install This Hardware" "The Hardware is not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

I found files in that folder.

Uninstalled IAR Kickstart.

Installed the downloaded v4.09A from ti.com

No joy.

Am I just not holding my mouth right?

Thanks in advance.

Gene
By markus_b
Gene,

I've got the same problem. I tried it with the dowloaded software, the software on the CD and with the drivers coming with the 'code composer' (also on the CD).

I just received my ez430 (odered just before christmas), we might have the same batch.

Markus
By markus_b
OldCow wrote:The current version is in slac050Q.zip
That's what I did download. Does not work !

Markus
By markus_b
I just got a mail back from TI support in Germany, they offer to replace the programmer and ask me to send it to their tech support for investigation.

I suggest you open a support call with TI too, here the URL.
http://www-k.ext.ti.com/sc/technical-su ... rt.asp?MCU

Markus
By dumarjo
Hi all,

I found the problem

TI have a problem with the descriptor on the usb. I have modified the inf file to respect this error from TI

here the inf file "umpusbXP.inf"

Change the line

%PID_F430.DeviceDesc%=TI3410.Uni,USB\VID_0451&PID_F430 ; <------------ MSP-FET430UIF

to

%PID_F430.DeviceDesc%=TI3410.Uni,USB\VID_0451&PID_3410 ; <------------ MSP-FET430UIF

And should work

Jonathan
By markus_b
Thanks Jonathan,

unfortunately I can not test anymore as I sent the unit back to TI last week and the replacement did not arrive yet.

I supposed that it was something easy to fix, but did not have your knowledge of how windows ini files work.

Regards Markus
By dumarjo
it's TI fault, not the user !

Jonathan
By markus_b
dumarjo wrote:it's TI fault, not the user !
Certainly it is.

The day I'm entirely without any fault ever I'll hold it against them... ;-)

Markus
By klear
Just bought a TI USB development stick (EZ430-F2013) from a major electronic parts vendor (DK), Lot 01979503.1, and had the exact problem described here. Made the change to umpusbXP.inf as directed by dumarjo and then both driver installations worked fine. Ran flashing LED demo okay. (Unit was flashing when it first was plugged in. Does this indicate it had already been loaded with the code?).

Thanks dumarjo!
By markus_b
klear wrote:Unit was flashing when it first was plugged in. Does this indicate it had already been loaded with the code?
Yes, the msp430 is already preloaded with the flashing LED code.

Markus
By dumarjo
klear wrote:Just bought a TI USB development stick (EZ430-F2013) from a major electronic parts vendor (DK), Lot 01979503.1, and had the exact problem described here. Made the change to umpusbXP.inf as directed by dumarjo and then both driver installations worked fine. Ran flashing LED demo okay. (Unit was flashing when it first was plugged in. Does this indicate it had already been loaded with the code?).

Thanks dumarjo!
Good

glad to help !

Dumarjo
By hairy_kiwi
dumarjo wrote:Hi all,

I found the problem

TI have a problem with the descriptor on the usb. I have modified the inf file to respect this error from TI

here the inf file "umpusbXP.inf"

Change the line

%PID_F430.DeviceDesc%=TI3410.Uni,USB\VID_0451&PID_F430 ; <------------ MSP-FET430UIF

to

%PID_F430.DeviceDesc%=TI3410.Uni,USB\VID_0451&PID_3410 ; <------------ MSP-FET430UIF

And should work

Jonathan
I'm fairly new to MCUs, so apologies if this is sucking eggs stuff.

Had similar problems after trying to get IAR Workbench KickStart version 3.41G talking to a eZ430-F2013, Lot 02014764.1.

Tried dumarjo's advice, no change.

The following page inspired me to look at the connection settings in IAR Workbench KickStart:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... 27308.html

In IAR Workbench KickStart, select Project> Options (Alt-F7)> FET Debugger. Under the Setup tab, go to 'Connection' box, (Top RH corner) and select "TI USB FET". (This was by default set to "Lpt" during install.)

The IAR J-LINK OR TI USB FET INTERFACE MODULE subsection under Hardware installation, (MSP430 IAR Embedded
Workbench® IDE User Guide, 5th Edition, March 2006, pg 193) doesn't mention "TI USB FET" needing to be selected. The only reference I found comes later on pg 200:

"Connection
The C-SPY FET debugger can communicate with the target device via the parallel port or the USB port. Select Lpt, J-Link (USB), or TI USB FET to specify the connection type. If you select Lpt you must also specify which parallel port to use; LPT1, LPT2, or LPT3."

Maybe this'll helps someone else who doesn't like reading manuals!

hairy_kiwi
By falingtrea
The other thing I have noticed is that I need to have the eZ430 unit plugged into the USB port before I start the IAR Workbench. Does not seem to configure correctly if I plug it in after starting the program.
By eltury
I too tried the dumarjo fix to no avail. I have two devices and Windows device manager gives a "data invalid" error when the serial drivers try to load.

Response from TI is that a bunch went out with the wrong firmware and the problem is not fixable.