SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By nio101
Hello,

I'm trying to use a MSP430F2012 to operate some LED and a buzzer on a flying helico RC model, which is a quite simple task, but not for a newbie like me...

I have a few questions for which I can't find answers, even through Google nor reading the MSP430F2012 datasheet and user guide...

1) The I/O seems to have some pull-up/down resistor (35k) which I guess allow me to connect directly some LEDs without adding resistance ?

2) If I drive them directly, the current will be driven from the MSP430F2012, and I guess that there is a maximum value, for each I/O and globally, but what are those values ? I don't want to burn my MSP430 and I couldn't find any clue on the TI documents...

3) If the current to light the LED musn't be driven from the MSP430 I/O, what would be the simpliest (less components) schematic to interface them ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have fun.
By OldCow
The pull-up/-down option may be used when you configure a Port pin as input. It should not be used when a Port pin is used as output.

As an output, a Port pin can drive/sink up to 6mA. This (as well as other) specification can be found in the data-sheet. The data-sheet and the user’s guide are your primary sources for information. TI also has a lot of code samples, application notes, etc. Seek and thou shall see.

6mA should be enough for most LEDs and you can use a Port pin to drive it with a current limiting resistor in series. TI’s eZ430 target boards all have such a LED at P1.0. They use a 330R to limit the current to about 5mA. If that is not bright enough for you, then you need a bigger/brighter LED and a transistor to drive it.
By nio101
Thanks for your help !