SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By Bill_Ewing
I have been using TI's ezMSP430 USB emulators. For only $20 they're a terrific way to get started. Along with that, getting the IAR Kickstart IDE with in-circuit debugging and C/C++ is great.

But, I decided to upgrade to the Olimex MSP430-JTAG-ISO since I fried at least one of the ez's.

I could not find any documentation at the Olimex site for the MSP430-JTAG-ISO. Ok, maybe it's new and I should just go look at one of their other devices, but to no avail. So for those of you who are wondering about this, I suggest going to TI and downloading their document: SLAU138E. (Note to self: maybe this is telling you something)

The TI document does very well to describe their similar product and shows schematics for interfacing the standard JTAG connector (14 line ribbon cable terminated with 2x7 plug) to both the newer Spi-Bi-Wire "2 wire" interface (Vcc, Gnd, Clk and Data) like the little ez430 uses or the older JTAG interface with more signals.

That solved, I obtained the drivers for the Olimex ISO (version 1.011) and installed them without any issues.

When I plug the device in, my PC recognizes it.

PROBLEM

After carefully checking and rechecking settings in IAR Kickstart, I am unable to get the Olimex MSP430-JTAG-ISO to work at all. It's Green LED is on. When I attempt to go into debug mode, IAR always gives the message "FATAL ERROR Failed to initialize device. Session aborted!"

The settings in IAR I am using are:
Connection: TI USB FET

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

To Olimex: maybe writing English language documentation is not your strong suit, but that's OK. Here's your chance to shine at customer support.
By harlem
Is your IAR Kickstart IDE version 3.42?

If it is that version, it won't work with Olimex v1.011 drivers (the last, by now).

It's only work since IAR 3.41 version.

I don't know to solve that, I have the same problem.
By Bill_Ewing
The version of IAR is indicated as the following in Help, About:

"IAR Assembler for MSP430
V3.41A/W32 (3.41.1.9)
C:\Program Files\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 4.0\430\bin\a430.exe
4/12/2006 9:43:04 AM, 643072 bytes"

Harlem, I appreciate your help, but what does "It's only work since IAR 3.41 version" mean?

Are you saying that 3.41 did work but 3.42 does not?

Have you actually seen IAR 3.41 work with the MSP430-JTAG-ISO emulator?
By harlem
Sorry!

I want to say the opposite.

It work until IAR 3.41 version.

But, few minutes ago, I finally started the "Elprotronic MSP430 Flash Programmer Lite" with the Olimex v1.011 drivers, and now go fine.

There are a incompatibility with IAR and Olimex drivers, now the program says "Runtime Error!
...Workbench 4.0\common\bin\IarPm.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. "

when attempting to open a workspace.
By OLIMEX
hi,

sorry for the belated connect, but things are quite hectic here and I had no time to look at the forum for a long time

MSP430-JTAG-ISO works just fine with *any* EW-MSP430 version and it is tested by us.

today we downloaded EW-MSP430 3.42a from IAR web site and I asked one of our engineers to test it, it works without problem

I have no idea what you do guys but it's matter of simply copy of the DLLs in the IAR binary directory and guide Windows XP to INF folder when you first time connect the JTAG so it loads the proper drivers

I asked one of our guys to make HOW TO INSTALL document with pictures and uploaded on our web http://www.olimex.com/dev/msp-jtag-iso.html so you can load and see what you do wrong (like copy of the DLLs while you are running the Workbench or so)

Let me know if you still can't make it

Best regards
Tsvetan
By harlem
Thanks for your attention Tsvetan,

but after some time of tests I don't be able to solve the error:

"Runtime Error!

Program: ...R\ Systems\Embedded Workbench 4.0\common\bin\IarPm.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
"

BUT!!! I rescued the Olimex v.1.00.4 version from my hard drive!!

And eureka, it works fine!

I don't know, why it happens, but I can't work with 1.011, perhaps the problem is my computer but I see in the forum that I'm not alone.

For that persons that have the same problem, they can download the old version driver v1.00.4 from this direction:

"http://personales.ya.com/harlem/OLIMEX MSP430 USB drivers 1.00.4.zip"

I hope so, that it future revisions of the driver, the problem was disappeared.
By OLIMEX
we can't investigate further at our end as *everything* works fine at our place
what Windows version do you use? how did you loaded the USB drivers?
there must be something which to cause this runtime error
there are no changes in the driver beside the add support for more MSP430 devices in the newer version

Tsvetan
By harlem
It's something very strange,

because if I use "Elprotronic MSP430 Flash Programmer Lite" with Olimex v1.011 with the firmware update, it works fine. That show that my computer don't have problems with the new drivers.

When I install the new drivers to a recently installation of the IAR Workbench Evaluation 3.42A it report the "Runtime Error! ...." when attempt to open a workspace. And if I restore the original drivers the error persist!!

You have to uninstall the program and reinstall another time to be able to open a simple workspace without errors, and if you change the drivers... error, you have to begin another time uninstall / install. (I have to do it 4 times).

But yesterday, the error was different it simply don't connect to JTAG "No device found or is disconnected", this afternoon the error changed to "Runtime Error! ....", I don't know why.

Perhaps when I uninstalled the FTDI driver and reinstalled later the error message was changed, I'm not sure.

My system is:
Windows XP SP2
Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2Gb RAM

If somebody else explain their proves, perhaps OLIMEX could find the problem or at least reproduce the problem at their place.

Best regards
Toni
By OLIMEX
We don't use Elprotronics software, it may mess something with the MSP430.dll or the drivers.
please do as follows: remove Elprotronics, IAR, FTDI drivers from your computer. then install MSP430-ISO drivers and re-install EW-MSP430 and copy the dlls in the binary folder, everything should be fine.
Tsvetan
By harlem
A lot of thanks!!!

I uninstalled all Elprotronic software, the IAR Workbench, the FTDI driver and I deleted all the files that superlived in the "Program Files" and in the "Common Files".

I reboot my computer and I begin with IAR Workbech, follow a reboot, then the FTDI driver, then a reboot.

I put the Olimex drivers on the IAR folder, and all worked fine!!

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Toni
By OLIMEX
ok, now you can install Elprotronics software again and see what it does with our MSP430.dll! I guess it modify it without warning.

Tsvetan